• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal action to collect gambling debt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

guyonthecouch

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New Jersey.

I was wondering if there was any legal action I could take to collect a gamling debt (the result of a poker game between me and one other person).
I'm not sure if our "agreement" to pay the winner a certain amount counts as a "verbal contract," or if the debt, which almost immediatly became a loan, could be considered a personal loan.
Anyway, at first, the winner was supposed to be payed in full that night, but the amount was much larger than we had anticipated. So, out of the kindness of my heart, we agreed upon a payment plan. Of course, I haven't seen any money out of it, and after months of putting me off and not answering my calls, etc, he has changed his phone number and clearly has no intentions of making good on his debt.
What he doesn't know is that I know where to find him :cool: , so I wanted to know if I had any chance of winning a case like this in small claims court, or if there is any sort of legal action I can take.
Thanks for any advice.
Cheers.
-the guy

guyonthecouch

justalayman said:
Well, is gambling legal in New Jersey where this gambling took place?

Honestly, I'm not sure. I think a poker game for money is legal in NJ as long as the "house" doesn't make a profit on it. The game took place in a pool hall, and they did charge time for it (which I think is not legal). But I don't know if that negates the legality (if any) of the game itself. That is, in my mind, the two players involved were partaking in a legal game, but the pool hall was illegaly charging time for it. That's one of the reasons I'm not sure if there's anything I can do.
-the guy

justalayman

2A:40-1. Gaming transactions unlawful

All wagers, bets or stakes made to depend upon any race or game, or upon any gaming by lot or chance, or upon any lot, chance, casualty or unknown or contingent event, shall be unlawful.

2C:37-2. Promoting Gambling.

a. Promoting Gambling Defined. A person is guilty of promoting gambling when he knowingly:
(1) Accepts or receives money or other property, pursuant to an agreement or understanding with any person whereby he participates or will participate in the proceeds of gambling activity; or
(2) Engages in conduct, which materially aids any form of gambling activity. Such conduct includes but is not limited to conduct directed toward the creation or establishment of the particular game, contest, scheme, device or activity involved, toward the acquisition or maintenance of premises, paraphernalia, equipment or apparatus therefor, toward the solicitation or inducement of persons to participate therein, toward the actual conduct of the playing phases thereof, toward the arrangement of any of its financial or recording phases, or toward any other phase of its operation.

Here is the rest

http://www.gambling-law-us.com/State-Laws/New-Jersey/

guyonthecouch

Then gambling is illegal all-around in NJ, save A.C. and the state lottery... and sweepstakes... and the stock market... and bingo, and raffles, and when the right people stand to make the right amount of $. I see.
OK, well thanks for the help anyway.
-the guy

justalayman

Ya , pretty much.

You know the old golden rule don't you?

he who has the gold, makes the rules

It's a tough thing to fight.

HomeGuru

guyonthecouch said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New Jersey.

I was wondering if there was any legal action I could take to collect a gamling debt (the result of a poker game between me and one other person).
I'm not sure if our "agreement" to pay the winner a certain amount counts as a "verbal contract," or if the debt, which almost immediatly became a loan, could be considered a personal loan.
Anyway, at first, the winner was supposed to be payed in full that night, but the amount was much larger than we had anticipated. So, out of the kindness of my heart, we agreed upon a payment plan. Of course, I haven't seen any money out of it, and after months of putting me off and not answering my calls, etc, he has changed his phone number and clearly has no intentions of making good on his debt.
What he doesn't know is that I know where to find him :cool: , so I wanted to know if I had any chance of winning a case like this in small claims court, or if there is any sort of legal action I can take.
Thanks for any advice.
Cheers.
-the guy
**A: your only option would be to hire Luigi and his cousin Guido from Chicago.

guyonthecouch

HomeGuru said:
**A: your only option would be to hire Luigi and his cousin Guido from Chicago.
:D
C'mon now... I'm from Jersey, why would I need to go all the way to Chicago for a little muscle? Around here, I couldn't throw a dead cat without hitting some one willing to do me a favor [wink wink]. I was just hoping there was something legitimate I could do.

Cheers.
-the guy

ps - Luigi and Guido from Chicago are really nice guys as long as you don't get on their bad side.

acmb05

No

guyonthecouch said:
:D
C'mon now... I'm from Jersey, why would I need to go all the way to Chicago for a little muscle? Around here, I couldn't throw a dead cat without hitting some one willing to do me a favor [wink wink]. I was just hoping there was something legitimate I could do.

Cheers.
-the guy

ps - Luigi and Guido from Chicago are really nice guys as long as you don't get on their bad side.
The court cannot aid you in collecting money from an illegal activity.

Kane

Gambling should always be done with Cash On The Table.

(Unless it's strip poker, in which case it should only be done with girls.)

acmb05

agreed

Kane said:

And big busty girls at that.

T

TheHomeGuru

Kane said:

Strip poker represents illegal gambling in NJ as well. And you only get to watch if you win. Cash on
the table and away you go, is the only way. Win few hands then go celebrate with happy ending at the massage
place. Don’t forget to tip.

acmb05

Lol

HomeGuru said:
**A: then you say I can't sue for my drug money.
Reminded me of the COPS episode in which the lady calls the cops cause the drug dealer gave her fake crack and she wanted them to get her 20 bucks back.

HomeGuru

acmb05 said:
Reminded me of the COPS episode in which the lady calls the cops cause the drug dealer gave her fake crack and she wanted them to get her 20 bucks back.

**A: and there was in real life a cop who bought fake crack and was arrested and got sent to prison.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">