• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal age to be liable

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gina Y.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio
My son purchased a car at the age of seventeen from a private owner. She took him to get the title in his name after it was paid off. She now states he didnt pay her all the money and is taking him to court. She is my landlord and he was seventeen at the time. She does not even remember his name. He did not sign a contract wih her at any time. Can she really take this to court and win?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My son purchased a car at the age of seventeen from a private owner. She took him to get the title in his name after it was paid off. She now states he didnt pay her all the money and is taking him to court. She is my landlord and he was seventeen at the time. She does not even remember his name. He did not sign a contract wih her at any time. Can she really take this to court and win?
She can take it to court but 17 year olds cannot enter into contracts. He may end up giving the car back and getting all of his money back.

Antigone*

This contract is voidable. However, that would be up to him to void it. Does he have the title in his name alone, or is she listed as lienholder? How did he pay her and does he have any proof? How old is your son now and how long has he had the vehicle?

I think that the transfer of title is indicative of paying for the car in full.

Unless the LL can show that monies are still owed then the court will assume that monies are not owed.

Giving a free and clear title is not a smart thing to do as the LL will find out.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And, as to the voidability of the contract...the contract was affirmed by payments made after kiddo was 18...and, possibly, by continued possession and use of the vehicle after kiddo was 18.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">