• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Evidence?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

orangeflame08

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Does anyone know if facebook messages and text messages are a legal form of evidence if brought to a small claims court? An ex-friend of mine owes me a very large sum of money. I have multplie facebook messages, dating back to a year ago, and multiple text messages dating back for the past few months saying that she agrees to the amount she owes and saying that she will pay me back. We have dates/times of when and where to meet for it. And there are also messages of her cancelling for any given reason? I would like to take her to court, but I'm not sure if that is a form of legal evidence. If it isn't, it's a waste of money for me. Does anyone have any kind of information about this or any suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Heather

Last edited:

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Does anyone know if facebook messages and text messages are a legal form of evidence if brought to a small claims court? An ex-friend of mine owes me a very large sum of money. I have multplie facebook messages, dating back to a year ago, and multiple text messages dating back for the past few months saying that she agrees to the amount she owes and saying that she will pay me back. We have dates/times of when and where to meet for it. And there are also messages of her cancelling for any given reason? I would like to take her to court, but I'm not sure if that is a form of legal evidence. If it isn't, it's a waste of money for me. Does anyone have any kind of information about this or any suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
HeatherWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I was home sick lweek before ast and saw both Judge Judy and Judge Marilyn Milian use FB and text messages as evidence.:p

It could be considered, like email can be. Who knows what objection, of any, would be made by the other party or the judge. Judges' in small claims can allow almost anything they want in as evidence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">