• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lend friend money now she's avoiding me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jennysfinearts

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Thanks again for all your help last time everyone it turned out well!

I let my friend borrow $120.00 she is now avoiding my calls, emails, and demands for payment. She told me she wasn't ducking out in an email but she has yet to pay anything. I have no written agreement for the small amount but I do have pictures of my text messages from her asking for the money and the email that she stated she was going to pay me back.

Do I stand a chance in small claims or will it be a bigger waste of time and money for me?

Have a great one!

A

absconder

Lil girl learn. You can do alot but is it worth it? Never loan money unless you can personally consider it a gift and never need it back. Not that they dont owe it but that can you afford it and can you overcome the emotional turmoil of them not paying it back. Loan money as if its a hand out.........unless theres secured property involved and never NEVER co-sign.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

We don't know what your time is "worth". Did you really need someone to give you permission to sue her in Small Claims court?

IAAL

jennysfinearts

"worth"

Yes I realize I was very stupid to loan out even that little amount I just wonder if the only evidence i have is her angry voicemails, pictures of text messages and a couple of remarks in some emails will stand.

I know it may not be worth the cost since I'll probably have to shell out 20-40 dollars in court fees and a constable to collect the money. I know I should have made her sign a note but I didn't.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jennysfinearts said:
Yes I realize I was very stupid to loan out even that little amount I just wonder if the only evidence i have is her angry voicemails, pictures of text messages and a couple of remarks in some emails will stand.

I know it may not be worth the cost since I'll probably have to shell out 20-40 dollars in court fees and a constable to collect the money. I know I should have made her sign a note but I didn't.

My response:

No one ever said anything to you about costs. Your original question was whether this would be worth your "time". Now, all of a sudden, you're concerned about the filing fees.

First, you never stated whether this would be worth your time. Everyone is different. To me, it wouldn't. To you, it might. I don't know.

Second, assuming you win, your filing fees become part of the judgment; e.g., if you're suing for $100.00, and it costs you $10.00 to file, and assuming you win a judgment, your judgment will be for $110.00. You could have a friend, who is 18 or over, serve the complaint for free.

Lastly, you've never quoted any of the portions of your e-mails that would indicate to you that there was some writing about knowledge of the loan. It would have been helpful if you did so that we could assess your evidence.

So, in the final analysis, the decision is yours, and you can only hope that whatever evidence you do have is strong enough to tip the scales in your favor.

IAAL

jennysfinearts

umm

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

No one ever said anything to you about costs. Your original question was whether this would be worth your "time". Now, all of a sudden, you're concerned about the filing fees.

First, you never stated whether this would be worth your time. Everyone is different. To me, it wouldn't. To you, it might. I don't know.

Second, assuming you win, your filing fees become part of the judgment; e.g., if you're suing for $100.00, and it costs you $10.00 to file, and assuming you win a judgment, your judgment will be for $110.00. You could have a friend, who is 18 or over, serve the complaint for free.

Lastly, you've never quoted any of the portions of your e-mails that would indicate to you that there was some writing about knowledge of the loan. It would have been helpful if you did so that we could assess your evidence.

So, in the final analysis, the decision is yours, and you can only hope that whatever evidence you do have is strong enough to tip the scales in your favor.

IAAL
I did question in my post would it be a waste of time and money. I didn't realize this board was an exam on what i did or didn't ask first. It was a general question because I didn't want to bother the kind people that had helped me before with petty agrument emails that I recieved from a friend.

My evidence...the photographs of text messages I wanted to know if they would hold up or would a judge want the actual phone? They are dates and her asking to borrow $100 and saying how stupid she felt for asking for it. The emails I have asked for the money to be repaid. Her responses have been "I'm not trying to duck out on paying you back I'll even give you interest if that's what you want." But her voicemail was nasty, vulgar and abusive. Calling me every name in the book and how she didn't appreciate me calling and asking for the money. That she has bills to pay and "it isn't her fault I have a car payment or I quit my second job and am now looking for money".

Hope that gives you a little more to evaluate.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jennysfinearts said:
I did question in my post would it be a waste of time and money. I didn't realize this board was an exam on what i did or didn't ask first. It was a general question because I didn't want to bother the kind people that had helped me before with petty agrument emails that I recieved from a friend.

My response:

You're on your own kiddo, along with your mouth.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">