• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lended money to a friend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

borreman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

About 8 months ago, a very good friend of mine was in big financial distress. I wrote him a check for $5,000 to help him out, explaining to him that as soon as he has the money, he can pay me back. However, this friend has been acting really weird lately, and since we have not signed any paperwork, I am afraid he will bail on ever paying that money back to me. My question is, without any debt paperwork, could I still prove in small court that I lended him the money and that he owes me? After all, there is a track on the check. Any help appreciated.

Primera

It's going to be tough if you don't any proof of the money being a loan. Your friend is going to say it was a gift if he intended not to pay you back. I'd suggest that you write him an email about the loan, just to get him to acknowledge it. Also, try to work out a repayment plan with him in the email so you have something to bring to court if anything fails.

BTW, did you write "LOAN" in the memo field of the check? If you did, that will be a very good evidence for you.

Good luck!

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

About 8 months ago, a very good friend of mine was in big financial distress. I wrote him a check for $5,000 to help him out, explaining to him that as soon as he has the money, he can pay me back. However, this friend has been acting really weird lately, and since we have not signed any paperwork, I am afraid he will bail on ever paying that money back to me. My question is, without any debt paperwork, could I still prove in small court that I lended him the money and that he owes me? After all, there is a track on the check. Any help appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">