• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lent a Friend $$

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rhp1822

What is the name of your state? MI

4/1/06 I lent a friend $340.00. She verbally said she'd pay back within a couple months. I, to cover myself, made her sign a piece of paper saying she'd pay no later than 4/1/07. I've recieved several emails from her saying she'd pay soon, as she's paid nothing. On 9/1/06 she emailed saying she'd pay $11.00 a week until the balance was paid. She has not made any payments to date. Can I take her to small claims now, or do I have to wait until 4/1/07?

To top it off, I've moved 100 miles from where we'd have to go to court if I did file a small claim. I told her if she made me take this to court, I was going to sue for my missed time at work, travel fees, and court costs? Can I legally sue for any of that?What is the name of your state?

seniorjudge

Q: I told her if she made me take this to court, I was going to sue for my missed time at work, travel fees, and court costs? Can I legally sue for any of that?What is the name of your state?

A: No. Those are indirect damages. You can only sue for actual and direct damages.

Betty

Maybe she will still pay you by 4-1-07. Plus taking her to court you would have to consider the additional expenses you might incur - since you have moved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">