• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lent items being sold online

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Elondon83

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

To give you some history, I lent some event decor items(chair covers) to a woman I met on a local wedding resource group on Facebook. This is not a friend, but we do have mutual acquaintances. When I initially talked with her about borrowing the items, it was understood that they would be used for her September 1st wedding and she would provide a deposit. Right before she borrowed the items from me something came up and she was unable to provide the deposit. Against my better judgement I agreed to still lend her the items as she said that she was willing to sign something, give me info etc. so I knew they would be returned. She did not end up actually signing anything.(Yes I know, I greatly regret that now). A couple months later I have been given the runaround to when she would return the items. I have lost the ability to contact her online through FB so I contacted her via text about returning them. I had to threaten legal action before she would even respond to me. That was a week ago and she has given me many times that she would bring the items to me then not contact me and not show up. I have asked for her address and offered to come pick up the items myself as she has used vehicle problems as an excuse and she has not even acknowledged that as an option. Yesterday I again texted her(she does not answer calls) and told her she had 24 hours to return my chair covers in the condition they were lent or I would have to file a claim. Almost 24 hours later she responded that she came to bring them to me and I was not there. This was during the only hour of the day I was away from home, I have no idea if she came by or not. No note was left and she did not contact me to let me know she was coming nor contact me while she was there. As I was researching the value of the items this evening in case I needed a comparative value, I stumbled upon a Craigslist ad for other wedding items that I knew she was selling after her event INCLUDING my chair covers! I know that it was her Craigslist ad because she posted her own phone number in the ad.

I am not sure where to go from here. I have documented all the FB messages and texts agreeing to the lending of the items and the attempts at recovering the items. I also have a screen shot of the Craigslist ad showing that she is attempting to sell the items I lent her(including a picture of her holding up my chair covers). I originally purchased the items from a friend over a year ago so I do not have a receipt of purchase myself. As the value of the items are less than $200 I am not sure if I should file a police report or file with small claims court. I do not have her physical address therefore I cannot send her a certified letter asking for the items back. I have also been told to contact her as a potential buyer through Craigslist then show up and demand the items back in person. Would there be legal issues with contacting her under false pretenses? Any advice is appreciated.

Mass_Shyster

I have also been told to contact her as a potential buyer through Craigslist then show up and demand the items back in person. Would there be legal issues with contacting her under false pretenses?
None that I can think of. Show up and demand your stuff back. You may want to show up with the police.

I would tell her that you are interested in something else, not your stuff. You don't want to tip your hand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">