• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liabilities of others belongings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Aremmer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alaska

(Sunday 5th, DEC) I was working with some fellow college students, on a class project and while moving a poster-board flow-chart I bumped an energy drink spilling it on a table. Another student was sitting beside the table with his laptop in his lap and a few drops of the drink splashed onto the keyboard keys (H, G).

(Tuesday 7th, DEC) Two days later we see each other in class and I offered to clean it and if that didn't work I would talk about helping pay for damages. He called me, that week and we planned to meet up Friday the 10th

(Saturday 11th, DEC) I called him Saturday to try to meet up again. We go back and forth until the next Saturday.

(Saturday 18th, DEC) He calls telling me its cost $158.00 for a part and $75.00 for instillation, then Monday 20th instillation was $60.00. I called the local macbook store and they quoted me $120.00 for the part and $50.00 for instillation on the 20th. I then offered to pay $50.00 for instillation and the next day he told me that I owed him $125.00 for the part.

I am curious, what am I legally responsible for?

Hot Topic

The student doesn't necessarily need to get the laptop fixed at prices that are to your liking since your carelessness caused the problem.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">