• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NPlitz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

I run an extremely low budget DJ service to help support my family and to assist low budget brides still have nice music at their receptions. While setting up to DJ a wedding, that I only charge $250 to work, I understood a manager on duty to say I could “back up” on a lawn area to unload my equipment. In doing so, I created two long divots in the wet lawn. They have since repaired the “damage” and have now sent me the large bill even though I neither agreed to pay for it nor authorize the amount they spent and are now requiring me to pay. No police files were made, and I still don’t think I was completely wrong since I felt I was just following the directive of the manager on duty. I do not carry insurance for this service since I charge so little it wouldn’t actually make my family any money. Am I 100% liable? We’re they suppose to get different price quotes, or just take “the most expensive”? Is it worth my time to fight the $490 bill they want me to pay in two weeks? Help! Please!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

I run an extremely low budget DJ service to help support my family and to assist low budget brides still have nice music at their receptions. While setting up to DJ a wedding, that I only charge $250 to work, I understood a manager on duty to say I could “back up” on a lawn area to unload my equipment. In doing so, I created two long divots in the wet lawn. They have since repaired the “damage” and have now sent me the large bill even though I neither agreed to pay for it nor authorize the amount they spent and are now requiring me to pay. No police files were made, and I still don’t think I was completely wrong since I felt I was just following the directive of the manager on duty. I do not carry insurance for this service since I charge so little it wouldn’t actually make my family any money. Am I 100% liable? We’re they suppose to get different price quotes, or just take “the most expensive”? Is it worth my time to fight the $490 bill they want me to pay in two weeks? Help! Please!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

**A: you are liable since you caused the damage. Negotiate a settlement.

NPlitz

Police Report

Ok, so I am liable, but does a police report need to have been filed in order for me to be required to pay? Or, did they need to get a certain number of price quotes before taking the most expensive one? I guess I am just in shock that they are charging me so much money for so little "damage". And, I want to see what I can do to avoid paying that much.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ok, so I am liable, but does a police report need to have been filed in order for me to be required to pay? Or, did they need to get a certain number of price quotes before taking the most expensive one? I guess I am just in shock that they are charging me so much money for so little "damage". And, I want to see what I can do to avoid paying that much.
**A: you are liable since you caused the damage. Negotiate a settlement.

ETA: Of course, HG said something similar...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">