• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability question in Maine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mjcole82

Maine. I live in an apartment that is owned by the town I live in. It is a sort of subsidized housing.
A while back, they created a policy banning us from placing things by the side of the road unless it was trash on trash day. I placed a couch set for sale out by the road with a for sale sign on it and a price. After three days the housing authority took the couches and sent me a bill for their disposal. Are they allowed to take people's property and throw it away?
Can I take them to court for taking what was clearly not trash?
Thank you for your time.

OHRoadwarrior

I would have interpreted it to be trash or abandoned property. I know it would not have been placed there by a scofflaw, who thought they were not required to follow the policies laid out by the complex they live in and were trashing the property for profit. No, I don't believe you have a case.

Last edited:

mjcole82

I would have interpreted it to be trash or abandoned property. I know it would not have been placed there by a scofflaw, who thought they were not required to follow the policies laid out by the complex they live in and were trashing the property for profit. No, I don't believe you have a case.
How could it be interpreted it to be either trash or abandoned when there was a large sign that said "for sale" and had my phone number. It is quite clear that it is my property and that I still have an interest in it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">