• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability and verdict...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wallock

What is the name of your state? WI

I'm just curious about this - it's not a personal situation, purely hypothetical.

Let's say I am mugged and stabbed by some crook and have to go to the hospital for treatment (and have no insurance). In court, the judge rules the attacker is liable for all my medical expenses. Even though he is ruled to pay for the bills, he doesn't have any money or a job - thus he can't pay (or can only pay a small amount).

The hospital would likely be calling me asking for payment. If I give the hospital proof that the court found the other party was liable for the bills would they go after him? Or would they still go after me?

It seems to me that if the guy wasn't paying the judgment to you, the bills would continue to rack up (late fees, interest), eventually go to collections (wreck your credit), and you'd be screwed for something that's not your fault.

Do courts rule that bills become the responsibility of the guilty party or that the guilty party has to pay YOU the cost of the bills?

racer72

If I give the hospital proof that the court found the other party was liable for the bills would they go after him?
Nope. When admitted, you would have signed a form making you liable for the bill. This establishes a creditor/ debtor relationship between you and the hospital. The judgment would only grant you, not the hospital, the right to persue the debt.

Or would they still go after me?
Now you got it.

It seems to me that if the guy wasn't paying the judgment to you, the bills would continue to rack up (late fees, interest), eventually go to collections (wreck your credit), and you'd be screwed for something that's not your fault.
That's a risk we all take.

Do courts rule that bills become the responsibility of the guilty party or that the guilty party has to pay YOU the cost of the bills?
The only ruling the court could give would be for you to collect the debt. The court cannot assign debt, either the right to collect or the privilege of paying, to someone that is not named in the lawsuit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">