• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Library Fines - can I sue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cds1726

While I was a student I borrowed books for another member of our debate team from the college library. He took the three books and failed to return them. For awhile I receieved notices that they were overdue, but I talked to him about it and he said he would return them. Long story short, I forgot about it after I didn't recieve any more notices and I didn't follow up which was my mistake. Until later when I was about to graduate... I looked in my account and there were $300 in fines for the books he never returned. I had a few fines of my own, but his were biggest by far.

I spoke to him several times before graduation and he admitted that the books and fines were his responsibility. He asked me to print out the fine list, which I did and I gave him a clearly marked copy outlining which books and fines belonged to him. He asked me to have the library initiate a search, which they did, but the books did not show up after 6 weeks of looking. The agreement was that we would work out a deal after the search was complete. I e-mailed him, called, and IMed probably 15 different times asking him to contact me so we could work out some sort of plan. He has ignored every attempt at contact, I have even gone through mutual friends and his girlfriend. I'm in the process of trying to contact his parents, but I doubt that will do much good.

I unfortunatley have no written admittance of responsibility. I only have my conversations with him that I can speak of and maybe 2 people that can verify he has aknowledged that those books were his. I also realize that I did not deal with this in a timely manner and I am afraid I will simply be told "tough luck, it's your card"

He has a long history of borrowing money/stuff from peers and not returning it (several loans in amounting to hundreds of dollars each)

This wouldn't be an issue except that the school is holidng my degree until it is paid off and I would like to start applying to graduate school.

Can I sue him? Should I just pay it and then sue him? Or do I have no choice but to pay it myself?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dandy Don

Pay the fine and then sue him in small claims court. And also check on ebay to see if he sold the books there. Get affidavits (a signed statement) from other people he has done this to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">