• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Live with parents, paying for house repairs as form of rent, help me here.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

t0x1k

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I've been living at home with my mom and sister. I'm 22.
A verbal agreement was that I do repairs on the house and pay for them, as payment for rent.
In the past year she has been threatening me about the repairs and how they are not done to her liking and they're taking too long to finish. I haven't been able to go to school because of this financial burden on me.
I work a full time job. I work a typical 9-5 shift and Saturdays. I hardly have time to work on anything. The house is run down and been in need of repairs since we moved there 15 years ago. So imagine all the problems that have piled up.
I've tried working out an agreement that for the projects I do, we would get estimates from a handy man and use that estimate as how much goes toward rent.
For example, we had a guy years ago estimate how much it would cost to replace all the old flat slab interior doors with 6 panel doors. He qouted I think somewhere in the $200 range to install them, not including parts and painting them. Just hanging them.
I just got around to buying 10 doors totaling $200, hinges at $40 for all, paint etc. Totals of around $300. So that plus the estimate is $500 total, good for one months rent. Wrong, more things need to be done.
Another example, I just painted my room after fixing the walls, lots of damage due to water. She has been yelling at me for weeks for the color I picked. I had to put out the money to fix it, I told her before hand if I'm paying for the paint, I'm choosing the color scheme. It's a color scheme of a popular chain of restaurants around my area. A color similar to cookie dough and black trim. She is saying she can't sell the house now in a few years cause of the colors and that I have to repaint it or else.
Another example, the garbage disposal began to leak. Instead of buying a new one I just installed a plain ol' drain. I could not afford a $200 disposal at the time. I did this while she was away at work, she had no idea until I told her. From there she began to yell and threaten me to install a disposal.

I've tried making another agreement that she pays half of the total price of the repairs. She wants me to move out, but I cannot afford it when I have to keep paying for repairs. I can't win here.

I'm putting out all this money toward a house I don't own, and won't see a dime from when it is sold. I would have to say I've put about 10K into the house for the 4 years I've been living there "Scott Free:. I feel like I'm being taking advantage of. The only people that seem to agree with me are people outside my family.

I know people are going to say oh but your living there for free, it's the least you can do. I know. Part of that is why I do it, but a part is saying I'm being played like a fool. But I sometimes put enough into the house in a month that I could take over the mortgage payments.

Do I have any rights here? Anything I can do? I can't do this anymore.

BL

I'd say $300.00 per month on average is a better deal than you'll get on your own .

She wants you to move , then move and spend your money elsewhere .

Too bad you have to live within your means , and who the heck do you think you are dictating how the home was painted ?

It's not your home , move out . You were already spoken to about it .

30 days , goodbye .

BTW , what the heck does this have to do with small claims court ?

You aren't thinking of suing over your agreement are you ?

Last edited:

t0x1k

Wow, thanks for the jerk response.
I wasn't sure where to put this first of all.

All I wanted was advice if I could take this to court to get some of the thousands of dollars I've put into this house.

If you're all jerk offs on this site then farewell.

I also forgot to add she is trying to keep $2000 I'm getting from inheritance from my grandmother, which i planned on using to move out. She says it's going to herself to fix the other problems with the house.

But I expect another jerk response so don't waste your breath.

Last edited:

BL

You're attitude speaks for itself , no wonder Mom wants you out .

Grow up and stand on your own two feet .

You made an agreement and now want your work in exchange for rent back .

Look in the mirror .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">