• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Living in one state. Suing in another.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ocir

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

I live in Connecticut and I am filing a claim in Tennessee to recover money which a "friend" borrowed from me and never repaid. This happened when I visited him in Memphis. I have all of this documented. I am mailing the claim form to the appropriate small claims court in Tennessee. Question is: can I sue the defendant to cover not just the money and court costs but the cost of travelling from Connecticut to Tennessee to contest this claim? The court clerk says I should claim it anyway and see what happens. Does anyone know of an instance when travelling costs between states were awarded?

rmet4nzkx

No one can say ahead of time how a judge will rule. Be sure to have your case well documented, and contract, as well as your attemts to collect.

JETX

ocir said:
can I sue the defendant to cover not just the money and court costs but the cost of travelling from Connecticut to Tennessee to contest this claim?
You can certainly include those expenses in your suit, but the court will exclude them as they are NOT compensable..... unless you included them in a written agreement to the loan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">