• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loan to boss, partial payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chriss1784

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello, sometime last year i had built and sold a computer to my boss, and to summarize he was supposed to make payments on it at a reasonable rate. There was no set time or amount in the contract. I did get him to sign a document aknowledging the loan when it was made and still have this. I have however not seen any payments since last may, and am still owed 750 dollars. He has paid by check so i can draw up images of that, as well as text messages sent to my phone promising me payment, as well as the original contract, so i think i have enough evidence that the loan was made, i just really need the money and think that through the courts is the only way i will ever see it again. I know almost nothing of the legal process so i am wondering which avenue to take, i am guessing small claims court, but was also wondering if there were any other processes i could go through? Also should i notify him first to let him know i will be taking him to court or should i hold off on that?

thanks in advanceWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

rowz

How soon do you plan on leaving your job?

Start by sending a polite letter that briefly outlines your situation. [date of agreement, delivery date of item, detailed description of computer, payment history and balance due.

Request payment in full in a reasonable time frame, [say 2 weeks]. and close with a phrase like "Thank you for your prompt time and attention to this matter".

Keep all other issues/personalities/threats/warnings of consequences and the like OUT of the letter.

Send it to him via Certifiec Mail w/Return Receipt Request. If the letter comes back unclaimed DO NOT open it. Keep it for court.

If he does not reply in say 3 weeks, then just go & file the small claims papers and proceed.

In the meantime, use the intervening period to look for another job.

Good luck

chriss1784

Thanks

Yeah, I left that job several months ago so I am not so worried about that, I guess I could have used former boss instead in the title. Anyways, thank you for the advice I will be writing the letter later tomorrow.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">