• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loan to a friend gone bad, $270.00

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SanDen

What is the name of your state? North Carolina.

Hi,
June 9th 2005 I payed a friends cellphone bill of $270.00

I have in written form, (AOL instant message conversation) that she had agreed to pay me back within 2 weeks.

It has been over a month later, I have attempted to contact her but she is ignoring me and she has blocked my IM screen name.

At first, I just wanted her to contact me and let me know what is going on and when shell be able to pay me back, as it is not that much money but the fact that she is totally trying to ignore me has made me just want my money back and call it a day.

What are my options?

I have all reciepts stating that I paid, and I have written that she has said she will pay me back within 2 weeks.

Thank you so much.

SanDen

Should I get a lawyer, or do I have enough information to win in a small claims court.

If I do get a lawyer, can I sue for legal fees as well?

Thanks.

Sounds like you have her admission that she owes you, so it may be a good case for you.

Also, attorneys are not typically allowed in small claims. Check you state law.

SanDen

Would I be able to sue for legal fees as well?

I don't know how any of the law stuff works unfortunatly.

I'm sure filing paperwork and all that comes with fees, will I be able to receive those fees back also?

Thanks.

MissAnnie

I filed a small claims suit in NC about a couple of months ago. It cost $55.00 to file the paperwork and I decided to pay an additional $15.00 for the sheriff to serve the papers. The form you would fill out is called a Complaint for Money Owed, which states at the bottom of the form " I demand to recover the total amount listed above, plus interest and reimbursement for court costs." I won my case and was awarded an additional $70.00 for court costs. The schmuck I sued still hasn't paid me..now i have to go back down to the courthouse and file an order of execution. I found this website really helpful http://www.aoc.state.nc.us/magistrate/small_claims.htm

Just an idea to cover your butt and to prove to judge you have gone above and beyond to attempt to collect this debt - every single day between now and court date email this person (and print yourself out a copy of the email) with the same message. Something like - this email is an attempt to collect the money that you stated you owed me in our AOL instant message conversation. Please respond back with how and when you intend on repaying this. Make sure you print yourself a copy so you can show the judge that every single day (make sure the dates standout) for x number of days you have requested this money and have been ignored for x number of days. If you are not ignored and there is any correspondence - be sure to print that out as well because the minute this person answers acknowledging that they owe you money - is the minute you know you've probably won your case. Do what you want but I swear it works on Judge Mathis!! :D
You can also do this with U.S. Mail - and you can have it registered to be sure this person signs for it. good luck - hey i don't owe you any money do i? :p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">