• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loan vs Gift

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brendaj48

What is the name of your state? Tennessee I loaned a now ex boyfriend money to cover lawyer fees, bond money, use of my credit card and several more small personal loans. He paid me 1/5 of the loan while we were together in the form of cash. Now we are not together, he feels that the loan disappears. I have file a civil judgement, but he feels if he simply explains to the judge, they were "gifts", it should be simply dismissed! I have all my receipts paid to the specific "bills" for him. Do I have a strong case?
Thank you. :(
I was informed this ex boyfriend was filing bankrupty to include my potential claim. Is indeed this happens, is this where my action stops? HELP!!

Last edited:

stephenk

go ahead against him. no judge in his/her right mind will believe attorney fees and bail money is a gift.

mrogre

Also, the fact you have documented that he has payed you back portions of the debt show that you haven't comingled your income and they aren't simply "gifts".

However, for my state at least, if you know they are incapable of paying you back you're not supposed to bother suing them, because how are you supposed to enforce a court order to pay when they have nothing to show!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">