• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loan w/o written agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M_tolbert88

about 3 months ago i lent money to my girlfriend to pay for tuition. we had a verbal agreement that she would pay it back. i failed to get a written agreement. we broke up shortly after and just recently i decided to remind her again about the money to try and come up with payment options, and now of course she isn't answering any phone calls or making any attempt to contact me. so the only option i see now is taking her to small claims court. i have the stampted electronic transaction print out from my bank and i plan on getting the receipt from the billing company that would prove it was for her account.

are there any other steps i can take? my sister tells me that i may have a problem proving this was only meant to be a loan and not a gift since i neglected to get a signed written document saying so. is there anything else i can do?

what other options do i have.

Hot Topic

Too bad that you didn't write "loan" on the check. You can prove you withdrew x number of dollars from the bank, but you can't prove that it was a loan, not a gift. At this point, I see it as a "he said, she said" situation.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">