• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loan without repayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MStepa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I'm writing in regard to a personal loan of $1000 I gave to a long time friend of mine that lives in Atlanta,Georgia. She called me during some car repairs she had done and asked if I would be able to loan her $900. She explained that she would pay back the money in quarters over the next several weeks. I told her yes cause I've always thought of her as a sister more than just a friend. I did the loan through Paypal in a money transfer from my credit card, and to avoid any service fee's from Paypal I had written in the space provided that it was money that I owed her for car repairs even though I was only loaning her the money. That was probably very stupid on my part, but keep in mind I had no doubt that she would repay me the money back. There was no paperwork or promissary note drawn up either. All I have is a printout of the original money transfer done through Paypal. Since then she had called me to let me know that she was unable to pay me right away because of some bonus she was supposed to receive at work that did not come through. I told her it wasn't a problem that she did not have to pay me back in quarters as she had originally explained and that she could pay me as she could afford it. Well, its been a few years now and I still have not received any contribution from her to repay the loan. I called her once at work and she apologized several times over how bad she felt about not being able to pay me back due to problems with the IRS. Its obvious she had no intention of paying me back even though she did it as nicely as she could. My question is do I have any legal right to go after her in Small claims court and if I do will she have to appear in court here in Florida, or do I have to to go Georgia? I know there is a statute of limitations, but was not sure how it works when the loan is to a different state. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">