• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loaned $ to a friend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ex-Jock

What is the name of your state? MA
Alittle over a year ago, I loaned a friend $2000.00 to stop his house from going into foreclosure. He promised to pay me back when he rewrote his mortgage and with his tax refund. Since then we had a "falling out" and he refuses to even acknowledge the debt. The money was loaned on a hand shake and nothing more. I even gave him cash, so there is no paper trail. Could I take him to court? How do I prove my case?

gawm

You can't! You just learned a valuable lesson and it only cost you $2000. Should never loan money to friends. However if you do, ALWAYS get how and when it is to be paid back IN WRITING !

JETX

Ex-Jock said:
Could I take him to court?
Of course you can. After all, anyone can sue almost anyone else over almost anything.

How do I prove my case?
Simple. You present enough evidence to prove that you transferred money to him.... and that it was done with a promise of repayment.
How you do that... is entirely up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">