• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loaned a friend money he refuses to repay; can I get it back in small claims court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rogerdouglass

What is the name of your state? Nevada

I loaned a friend $500.00 for personal use in May 2003. He promised to repay the loan over the course of two pay periods in June 2003. To date he has not repaid any of the money nor has he returned any of my calls or emails. I have a copy of the cashed check I wrote him with the word "loan" in the "for" line and an email from him dated July 2, 2003 saying he "absolutely promised to repay the money" during a specific time frame (which came and went with no contact from him). Any chance I can get back my $500 in small claims court in the state of Nevada with these two pieces of evidence? I realize that it's not a lot of money, but I am willing to pursue this out of principle.

JETX

"Any chance I can get back my $500 in small claims court in the state of Nevada with these two pieces of evidence?"
*** Yes, there is always a chance, depending on the evidence that you can present and what defense the other party might offer. In this case, I would presume that your chances (since you do have a check made out to him), would be fairly good.
Go for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">