• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loaned Money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

backtracker101

IL,, I loaned a friend of mine $1,000 in May of 2002 and has failed to pay me back,,, I gave her a Money Order and in the not area I wrote "LOAN". While I was on vacation for a week last year she said that she had mailed me a check for $500, I never received that check, then she said it was stolen from our mailbox and cashed,, she said she contacted the bank, and they were looking into it, However the Bank has never contacted me nor have they followed the normal Forgery proceedures..... ( I feel she's full of crap about this check). I've sent her e-mails asking her to send what ever she could to start repaying this loan, as agreed to when the loan was made,,, but my e-mails go un answered. It's almost a year now since the loan was made,,, should I fial a small claim now? how would this work,, she lives in IN and I live in IL,,, any help would be greatful, because at this time I really need the money before I have to obtain a Loan.

BackTracker :confused:

JETX

"should I fial a small claim now?"
*** Yes.

"how would this work,, she lives in IN and I live in IL,,, any help would be greatful, because at this time I really need the money before I have to obtain a Loan."
*** You will have to sue her in her 'home' courts. There may be jurisdictional reasons why you could sue in your local courts, but in order to enforce (collect) the judgment, you will need to have a judgment in the state where her assets are.

H

hopeless in IN

i'm in IN to and the court costs in my town are $42. that's not that much to pay when you loaned someone $1000. and you can get that back to if you win. aren't people jerks. you're nice and loan them money and they stab you in the back!! i think that it's a pain to do this but you can't let people get away with your money. you go in fill out some papers and get a court date. show up for that with all of your evidence and hopefully you win. of course it will probably take forever to get your money. we are going back to garnish someone's wages and now we find out that she quit her job were she had a regular paycheck and now she is not on a regular payroll and we have no idea how we will get the money. i'm sorry if i'm not a big help i just wanted to complain.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">