• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loaned somebody alot of money. Need help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Aaron93

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY

Okay so long story short I had this friend and she convinced me that she had an assault charge from a year ago and that she had this huge fine to pay and that she needed $2600 to help pay it. She pulled on my heart strings and I wound up loaning her the cash. We had a verbal agreement that she would start paying me back in 10-20 days. Not too long after I found out that the charge didn't even exist and that she made it all up just to get money from me. It's been awhile since that day because I've been holding out for a miracle, but the time has come to take legal action. I've talked to some local attorneys and they all tell it's a Small Claims case. I thought it would be classified as Unjust Enrichment or Theft by Deception, but I guess I'm wrong. I thought if maybe I could get some type of charge pressed on her she would get scared and we would reach an agreement or something. The problem with Small Claims is that I'm like 100% sure she doesn't have the money anymore and when I win she probably won't have anything for me to collect because as of right now she's jobless, car-less, and has managed to get herself pregnant with her second child. But if that's the only option I'm willing to do it. I got plenty of text messages and Bank Statement to support my case so I'm pretty sure I can win. I can't prove the money was a loan because like I said that was verbal agreement, but I can prove that I gave her money on false pretenses so that has to stand for something right? So what should I do? Go straight to Small Claims or talk to more attorneys? Any advice or help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

TigerD

Bad news for you:
1. $2600 may seem like a lot of money, but it really isn't.
2. You can go to small claims. But other than feeling vindicated, you are likely to not collect anything - even if you win.
3. Since she isn't likely to pay, you really shouldn't spend the time or money to pursue it. It isn't worth it.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">