• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loaning someone money..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

m.eberly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right spot but here is my question anyways!

My co worker has been talking about needing 3 grand to buy her daughter a car. She was also talking about if she could find someone to loan it to her she would pay interest. I have the 3 grand to spear at the moment so I was thinking about it, BUTTTTTT.. Is there anyway I can document all this? Have here sign something? Just in case (rare) she tries to stiff me or give me the run around for a long time...

Thanks in advance!

Matt

DazedandConfusd

Risky...but your call

You can absolutely draw up a contract like anyone else would including a bank. If in the instance she doesn't pay, then you are justified to collect through the court system. I would have the document notarized and you might even check with a local bank to see if there is some way to collateralize the car in the occasion she doesn't pay. (Not sure if you can do this) Now if you get burnt, you get burnt. And friends are more likely to burn you than others...talking from experience.

If you really wanted to do it, I would draw up a contract and let him/her know that you mean business on this. Think about it...why would they not just go to a bank? You're taking the risk...be sure they know that!

m.eberly

If some reason she doesn't pay and I take her to court and they order her to pay. Do I get my money in one large sum from the court and she pays them?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If some reason she doesn't pay and I take her to court and they order her to pay. Do I get my money in one large sum from the court and she pays them?
Nope - if you get a judgment, then it's up to YOU to collect.

If daughter-of-friend needs a car, then daughter-of-friend should get her own loan.

If daughter-of-friend and friend can't get loans from a bank, then why do you think YOU are ohhhh so much smarter and more financially savvy?

xylene

My co worker
Loaning a co-worker ANYTHING is stupid. 3k is MEGA-STUPID.

What is the deal went bad? Aside from the fact that you seem to be planning on that which in itself is telling... You don't think that would impact the workplace. Like get you canned.

Great! Out 3K and out of job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">