• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Local company is a rip off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pianoman2054

What is the name of your state? Iowa
I purchased a car with a 90 day loan to refurbish and sell it. I needed to replace the engine. I contacted a mechanic's shop to do so. There was no original written estimate given and the original verbal agreed price was for $625 for engine and $425 for labor and would take 14 hours. That was on May 13th when they picked up the car. They finished the car about 1 month later and charged me over $1800. They had put in more parts than originally agreed on without contacting me. I picked up the car and found that the clutch was not working correctly. They took the car back in, replaced more parts that I did not approve and still have not repaired the clutch. It is now August 2nd and I still do not have the car and the loan comes due on the 11th. I have never been contacted by this shop and have had to initiate contact every time. Are there any remedies for this situation and, if so, how much? It looks like I'll at least have to pay the interest to continue the loan and have had a chance to sell it but the sale was cancelled because of the time it's taking and the clutch. Please help!!!

JETX

Pianoman2054 said:
Please help!!!
Help with what???
You are the one who put the vehicle in the shop without any written estimate or limitations. Do you really expect us to somehow wave a 'magic wand' and undo your screwup??

Pay the money and get the vehicle back. If you feel you got screwed, take the mechanic to court and argue your case.

Pianoman2054

Magic wand???

As if I didn't have enough problems with the mechanic's shop, now I gotta listen to some idiot who thinks he has a magic wand and who apparently did not read the complaint or did not comprehend it. Well, thanks anyway. I come here for help and get sarcasm!

JETX

Pianoman2054 said:
who apparently did not read the complaint or did not comprehend it.
Okay, help us out here. What EXACTLY did you expect from your post?? You have NO proof of any 'damages' by the shop!! You have NO proof of your imaginary damages for the loss of a sale!! And yet you want 'help' with the problem you have created yourself.

And let me repeat the part of my post you seem to have overlooked:
"Pay the money and get the vehicle back. If you feel you got screwed, take the mechanic to court and argue your case."

If you are looking for a hug and someone to burp you.... you're on the wrong forum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">