• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Long, complex situation involving stolen items

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gonick

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

As I stated in the title, this situation is complex, and there are quite a lot of events involved. I'm going to condense it as much as I can.

I used to live with a roommate. A couple of months ago I was having problems with my car, and her boyfriend (plus a friend of his) helped fix some of them. He doesn't mention anything about money, and I think he's helping me out of kindness. All went well, and that was that - or so I thought.

Fast forward to May. Apparently, roommate's (now ex) boyfriend doeswant money ($400, to be exact), and he wants it all immediately. This is a big deal for roommate, because he has a bunch of her stuff (some items being quite expensive) and he isn't handing them over until I pay up. Keep in mind that I don't have a lot of money to begin with, and that he never said or wrote anything about me having to pay money for what he did. So roommate suddenly takes one of my laptops, and says that she'll give it back once I've paid her ex.

Fast forward to a few weeks later. I still haven't been able to give the money to her boyfriend, he still has her stuff, and she still has my laptop. Roommate and I are about to go our separate ways, because the apartment we're in is kicking us out (also a long story, but I won't detail it here). On the day my family and I move and the days preceding that move, roommate decides to take even more of my stuff:
-My other laptop
-My other television
-Three video games consoles (Playstation 2, Xbox, Gameboy Advance SP)
-Various game console accessories (including two Playstation 2 controllers and two Playstation memory cards)
-Plenty of video games (many of which are old, rare, and expensive)
-My deep freezer

Once again, she says the stuff will be given back once I pay. I'm not able to. I'm afraid that she's going to take off with all of my things. So, the day after my 2 kids and I leave the apartment, I call the cops and am able to get a few of the items back (1 laptop, 1 TV, the Xbox, and a couple of Xbox video games). Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done about the other items - roommate claims they're hers, so we can't take them.

Forward to now, a few days later. I've filed a theft report, and a cop said that he was going to go over to roommate's place and ask about the stuff, but it's been a couple days and the police haven't contacted me, so I guess nothing came of that. What the hell should I do? What the hell can I do? I know I can just pay her ex, but I still don't have the money to do that. Also, I'm afraid that she might not even have my stuff any more - she might have sold or be trying to sell all of it. Also, I have real, tangible evidence of ownership for only a couple of these items - the TV and the Playstation. If I bring her to court, would I be able to get any of the other things back?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">