• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Looking for guidance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ejbutler

What is the name of your state? Kansas.

I am currently attending a division I college and play football. According to the ncaa rules I am ineligible because my eligibility clock has expired. I graduated from high school in 2001 so technically it has expired. I have only competed in football for 2 seasons since I went to DeVry when I graduated and later transferred. My problem is, I had a child in 2001 that cost me more than just financially, and the NCAA rule book grants exceptions for female student athletes who miss a season becasue of pregnancy. Now, the federal government recognizes the increasing demand laid on the father during this time and as such, has granted men with the ability to take paternal leave when their children are born just like the women. The rule book does not state the reason for the exception, but the underlying issue is that it is this way because women actually go through physical changes. My problems with this lie in the fact that this rule was established in 1985, 21 years ago (time has changed), and other than the fact that this physical state is not written down, doctors give women 6 weeks to recover and they are granted a full years pardon. Now I don't have any problem with women getting this because they deserve it, I just want my pat on the back for doing the right thing.

Do I have a possible sexual discrimination case?

seniorjudge

ejbutler said:
What is the name of your state? Kansas.

I am currently attending a division I college and play football. According to the ncaa rules I am ineligible because my eligibility clock has expired. I graduated from high school in 2001 so technically it has expired. I have only competed in football for 2 seasons since I went to DeVry when I graduated and later transferred. My problem is, I had a child in 2001 that cost me more than just financially, and the NCAA rule book grants exceptions for female student athletes who miss a season becasue of pregnancy. Now, the federal government recognizes the increasing demand laid on the father during this time and as such, has granted men with the ability to take paternal leave when their children are born just like the women. The rule book does not state the reason for the exception, but the underlying issue is that it is this way because women actually go through physical changes. My problems with this lie in the fact that this rule was established in 1985, 21 years ago (time has changed), and other than the fact that this physical state is not written down, doctors give women 6 weeks to recover and they are granted a full years pardon. Now I don't have any problem with women getting this because they deserve it, I just want my pat on the back for doing the right thing.

Do I have a possible sexual discrimination case?

Q: Do I have a possible sexual discrimination case?

A: Since your post did not indicate that you had been damaged in any way whatsoever, my guess is no.

ejbutler

The damages I've recieved

The damages that I received from this are financial. I am a walk on football player, if I were eligible to play again, I would recieve a scholarship to pay for school and to cover bills. This is the abridged version. I am living under the guidelines for extreme poverty according to the government standards.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
ejbutler said:
The damages that I received from this are financial. I am a walk on football player, if I were eligible to play again, I would recieve a scholarship to pay for school and to cover bills. This is the abridged version. I am living under the guidelines for extreme poverty according to the government standards.
Prove that you would DEFINITELY have the scholarship to pay for school and cover bills. Prove the amount of the scholarship you would DEFINITELY get. Prove that the only reason you did not get the scholarship is because of your age and that you aged out due to the baby. If you are under extreme poverty you may have to get a job, apply for grants, take out loans and what not in order to complete school.

BelizeBreeze

ejbutler said:
BULLCRAP. A walk-on does not have a scholarship and although you MAY have, at some point in the future, been offered such, you have nothing to substantiate that you would have been offered a scholarship except your own delusions.

As stated, unless you can provide the NCAA proof that a scholarship offer was on the table at the time of your ineligibility, you have nothing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">