• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Looking for reimbursement for assault bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ZeroHostile01

The other night at a bar, I offended someone through a misunderstanding. He refused to believe that he had heard me incorrectly, so I insisted that if it would make him feel better we could step outside and he could do what he thought was necessary. We stepped outside, I placed my hands behind my back and told him do what you think you have to do, expecting that he would realize I had no intentions of involving myself in a physical altercation with him, also assuming that if all else failed I would end up with a black eye and we would be over it at worst. I am now facing an extremely high medical bill as he was apparently significantly upset, and even more drunk than I assumed, and proceeded to hit me in the jaw with his fist several times, resulting in a fractured mandible in 2 places. Aside from the lengthy list of medical expenses, the oral surgeon I have had to see has informed me that the numb chin, and lower lip I am experiencing could very well be permanent. Since I never returned blows I know this was considered an assault, however I did not involve the police, which I am assuming will be the part that would make it a harder case... What if anything can I go about doing to at least make him reimburse the medical expenses? Thank you in advance for your time, and any information you may be able to share with me regarding my options.

~Tom~ Illinois

BOR

Ohio has a program called Victim Assistance. If you are a crime victim, you can file for reimbursement for your medical bills, BUT, you MUST report it to the police within 48 hours I believe?

I know you live in IL, but they may have a similar program.

Say IL has such a program, it is unknown how much liability they may assign to you for reimbursement purposes, the same with any civil lawsuit agsint him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">