• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lost Judgement - now what

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cmbout1022

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire

I recently lost a small claims court case, my husband I were the defendent, my brother in law was plantiff. Basically we had an oral agreement to do a work swap exchange. After the brother in law finished his work for us he decided he just wanted to be paid and not honor the agreement made. In court he didn't deny the agreement, just used that that was too much bad blood between the families to continue with original agreement. We didn't really put up that much of a fight in court, because basically he's right - we don't want to be around him now either. However, I've since learned that this judgement can be a derogatory hit on my credit. What I'm trying to find out is this true even if I pay it in the court allotted 30 days. (we're still in the 30 day window). Is it not going to matter when I pay it??

This is very important to me, due to the fact that over the next year we need to refi our home and try and help my daughter financially go to college.

If its true that basically my credit will be ruined then I was wondering if I have any hope of a appeal or something. He didn't deny the agreement - isn't a oral agreement just as binding as a written if proven?? The chances of him signing a dismissal of judgement if we pay him in full is null! In fact he would love to know he's potentially ruin our credit. Can I pay him and then maybe countersue him for breach of contract - ok I'm stretching here - but I'm deparate!!

Any help, advice, options or clarification concerning the credit reporting would be greatly appreciated!
:confused:

cmbout1022

Yes I still have time. Why do you feel this is my best route?? Do you think my case is that strong? I know appealing this could cost me almost as much as the judgement itself, not to mention possibly paying the brother-in-laws cost if I lose. Worth doing if you feel I have a strong case.

Please let me know what your thoughts are.

Thanks so much

seniorjudge

Yes I still have time. Why do you feel this is my best route?? Do you think my case is that strong? I know appealing this could cost me almost as much as the judgement itself, not to mention possibly paying the brother-in-laws cost if I lose. Worth doing if you feel I have a strong case.

Please let me know what your thoughts are.

Thanks so much
I don't know anything about your case.

It's the odds.

If you do not do anything, there is a 100% chance this could affect your credit.

If you appeal, it is 50-50, more or less.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">