• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A lot of bad decisions were made

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smitty2525

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My wife has a painful chronic disease and he doctors have stopped giving her pain medication. She is pregnant now and has stopped taking everything, but she had a lapse in judgement when she was in a lot of pain about 2 weeks ago. She purchased a couple morphine pills on the street. That person that sold them to her, then stole her Debit card and obtained her pin code somehow (still not sure how that happened) and took $280 out of our bank account. She also made 2 attempts to pull more than that and failed because of daily limits, etc.

My wife tried to speak with the girl just to have her give up since everyone knows what happened, but the women threatened to shoot her and showed her the gun. The girls husband wants to help us but he is broke and cant afford to pay us back. He has since kicked this girl out of the house.

Today, my wife was across the street from the husbands house, and then the girl showed up and punched my wife in the face twice and then tried to run into her car with her car. My wife stopped her, but then she tried to run my wife over with the car.

From our experience, and what the husband has told us, she is certifiably insane and very unpredictable. She has threatened death through text message multiple times on both my wife and myself.

Ok, now for the question. We are afraid that the buying morphine part will make worse things happen if we call the police. Personally, I would like to do things that I cannot mention on this website. But do we call the police? what will happen if we do?

I have already called a lawyer and I am waiting a call back since it is Sunday and nobody is answering their phones. Any insight on anything would be helpful.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My wife has a painful chronic disease and he doctors have stopped giving her pain medication. She is pregnant now and has stopped taking everything, but she had a lapse in judgement when she was in a lot of pain about 2 weeks ago. She purchased a couple morphine pills on the street. That person that sold them to her, then stole her Debit card and obtained her pin code somehow (still not sure how that happened) and took $280 out of our bank account. She also made 2 attempts to pull more than that and failed because of daily limits, etc.

My wife tried to speak with the girl just to have her give up since everyone knows what happened, but the women threatened to shoot her and showed her the gun. The girls husband wants to help us but he is broke and cant afford to pay us back. He has since kicked this girl out of the house.

Today, my wife was across the street from the husbands house, and then the girl showed up and punched my wife in the face twice and then tried to run into her car with her car. My wife stopped her, but then she tried to run my wife over with the car.

From our experience, and what the husband has told us, she is certifiably insane and very unpredictable. She has threatened death through text message multiple times on both my wife and myself.

Ok, now for the question. We are afraid that the buying morphine part will make worse things happen if we call the police. Personally, I would like to do things that I cannot mention on this website. But do we call the police? what will happen if we do?

I have already called a lawyer and I am waiting a call back since it is Sunday and nobody is answering their phones. Any insight on anything would be helpful.
You have just a short time to wait for Monday to arrive. I suggest that your wife speak to the attorney tomorrow and to no one else. I suggest you speak to no one about what your wife has told you.

The fact that your wife purchased drugs illegally complicates the situation, but the attorney will still probably recommend that the police are called and the crimes against your wife reported.

There is more involved here than a simple small claims matter to recover the $280.

Good luck.

Last edited:

single317dad

In addition to quincy's advice, keep in mind that someone who is so dependent on narcotic medication that they would be compelled to purchase it on the street while pregnant may not have related the details of the incident(s) to you in an entirely forthright manner. Insist that your wife disclose all details to the attorney (and you, hopefully) in order to best determine the next course of action.

smitty2525

In addition to quincy's advice, keep in mind that someone who is so dependent on narcotic medication that they would be compelled to purchase it on the street while pregnant may not have related the details of the incident(s) to you in an entirely forthright manner. Insist that your wife disclose all details to the attorney (and you, hopefully) in order to best determine the next course of action.
She was and is always entirely forthright with me. I am aware of everything she does. Everything will be disclosed to the lawyer.

CdwJava

There are only two ways this woman got the PIN number to the debit card: One, it was written on the card or next to it in your wife's wallet. Or, two (and the most common way this happens) your wife gave it to her.

I will be brutally honest here and tell you that it is very likely that your wife has not given you the entire story. People who fall into the Hell of prescription medication addiction frequently also fall into a spiral of lies and exaggeration in an effort to conceal their problem or to delude themselves into believing that they do not have a problem.

You mention that the suspect's husband kicked her out of the house, and I assume that you do not live on the same street as the suspect and her husband. However, you then state that for some reason your wife was across the street from the suspect's house and she came out and punched your wife ... was this while she was in her car?

As was mentioned SHE should speak with an attorney to determine her own liability in this matter before she calls the police and confesses to a possible felony crime. Second, is this woman your lawfully wedded spouse, or merely a girlfriend that you refer to as your "wife?" There is a difference, and, legally, a boyfriend can be compelled to testify against a defendant girlfriend. So, if you are NOT legally married, you may not want to speak to her on this any further at all.

I suspect there is more in play here than you realize or are caring to admit. I suspect that this woman and your wife may have had a previous user/dealer relationship but that you may not have known about it. Maybe not, but, most people do not suddenly manage to find someone to hook them up with Morphine!

While your wife may have committed a felony by purchasing and possessing Morphine, it is likely that she might only face misdemeanor charges provided she agreed to treatment ... assuming she would be charged at all. The other woman could - if the crime could be proven beyond a reasonable doubt - face the much, much more serious offense of criminal threats for the threat with the gun, and maybe ADW for trying to hit your wife's car with hers ... though, I'd be interested to know how the other woman MISSED if she was, indeed, trying to hit her. Ultimately, it is your wife's call to make to the police. She may not want to make that call if there is more to this story than she has revealed to you, so you may not want to make that call for her.

Good luck, and, I hope that the baby will be all right and that your wife is getting the medical and other treatment she needs.

smitty2525

There are only two ways this woman got the PIN number to the debit card: One, it was written on the card or next to it in your wife's wallet. Or, two (and the most common way this happens) your wife gave it to her.

I will be brutally honest here and tell you that it is very likely that your wife has not given you the entire story. People who fall into the Hell of prescription medication addiction frequently also fall into a spiral of lies and exaggeration in an effort to conceal their problem or to delude themselves into believing that they do not have a problem.

You mention that the suspect's husband kicked her out of the house, and I assume that you do not live on the same street as the suspect and her husband. However, you then state that for some reason your wife was across the street from the suspect's house and she came out and punched your wife ... was this while she was in her car?

As was mentioned SHE should speak with an attorney to determine her own liability in this matter before she calls the police and confesses to a possible felony crime. Second, is this woman your lawfully wedded spouse, or merely a girlfriend that you refer to as your "wife?" There is a difference, and, legally, a boyfriend can be compelled to testify against a defendant girlfriend. So, if you are NOT legally married, you may not want to speak to her on this any further at all.

I suspect there is more in play here than you realize or are caring to admit. I suspect that this woman and your wife may have had a previous user/dealer relationship but that you may not have known about it. Maybe not, but, most people do not suddenly manage to find someone to hook them up with Morphine!

While your wife may have committed a felony by purchasing and possessing Morphine, it is likely that she might only face misdemeanor charges provided she agreed to treatment ... assuming she would be charged at all. The other woman could - if the crime could be proven beyond a reasonable doubt - face the much, much more serious offense of criminal threats for the threat with the gun, and maybe ADW for trying to hit your wife's car with hers ... though, I'd be interested to know how the other woman MISSED if she was, indeed, trying to hit her. Ultimately, it is your wife's call to make to the police. She may not want to make that call if there is more to this story than she has revealed to you, so you may not want to make that call for her.

Good luck, and, I hope that the baby will be all right and that your wife is getting the medical and other treatment she needs.

So I just had a very lengthy reply to this, but the page timed out and it didnt send it. So I will just sum it up. My wife doesnt lie to me because I am already aware of everything. The husband has backed every aspect and I have witnessed some of it as well.
She is my wife, not my girlfriend...

My wife went to the house across the street because somebody that knows her lives there, and the husband also wants to help pay us back so she was across the street talking to somebody when the husband came out and spoke with my wife. At this point the suspect drove up into the driveway and attacked my wife. the husband pulled her off and then my wife went to leave and the suspect got in her car and tried to hit my wifes car, but my wife go tin the way. The suspect then threatened to run her over but she just drove away instead.

CdwJava

So I just had a very lengthy reply to this, but the page timed out and it didnt send it.
You learn after a while to try and keep it brief ... web replies are like that.

So I will just sum it up. My wife doesnt lie to me because I am already aware of everything.
No one can possibly KNOW that with absolute certainty. It may be true, but I have been at this game long enough to know that this is rarely the case. The scenario you describe - including your affirmation of her truthfulness to you - is repeated daily in one form or another daily in many jurisdictions across the country. The odds of you having received the entire and complete truth is possible, but highly improbable.

All the same, my advice stands. She needs to consult an attorney and she should probably not speak to you or anyone else about this as she faces potential felony charges.

She is my wife, not my girlfriend...
At least that provides for some protections against you being compelled to testify against her. I asked because a great many people use the term "husband" or "wife" without actually being married.

My wife went to the house across the street because somebody that knows her lives there, and the husband also wants to help pay us back so she was across the street talking to somebody when the husband came out and spoke with my wife. At this point the suspect drove up into the driveway and attacked my wife. the husband pulled her off and then my wife went to leave and the suspect got in her car and tried to hit my wifes car, but my wife go tin the way. The suspect then threatened to run her over but she just drove away instead.
Okay, so, this statement you made was not entirely true, then: " then she tried to run my wife over with the car." A threat is not actually doing it. An ADW charge is not likely, then. But, the criminal threats could still stand ... provided a similar rephrasing or exaggeration has not occurred there as well.

Proserpina

OP, is she in treatment for addiction?

That might give her defense something of a boost - recognizing the problem and seeking help before she's ordered to do so by a judge.

I know this is extremely difficult for you, but the truth is that unless you keep her literally locked up in the basement you just can't know for certain what did and didn't happen. We all want to believe our spouse when there's trouble. Unfortunately, the nature of addiction just doesn't lend itself well to truthfulness.

Other that, I can only echo the other posters.

Good luck.

Actually one more thing. Every state has guidelines pertaining to the mandatory drug-testing a newborn. Obviously if the new-born comes up positive there may be enormous ramifications and it might warrant a conversation with your wife.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">