• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lots of ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maeflye63

MI
Father died in Oct 04 had a live in girlfriend. She only lived there for 16 months. She took everything she could when she left, even things that my sister and I had at the house. Now we do have a lawyer for the house and such but he told me that it would cost 3-4 thousand to take this woman to court for the things she took. I even have letters she wrote to my brother about things my father bought but she tells everyone that they both bought together. Just like she took my dad's digital camera, said the old one broke and they bought a new one together. I asked for the old one since I knew my dad NEVER threw anything away. she never produced it.

How much does it cost to do a small claims? She has moved out of state now and she has probably given most of the stuff to her kids in calumet and lanse but still can we go after her? Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Smiles
maeflye63

BL

maeflye63 said:
MI
Father died in Oct 04 had a live in girlfriend. She only lived there for 16 months. She took everything she could when she left, even things that my sister and I had at the house. Now we do have a lawyer for the house and such but he told me that it would cost 3-4 thousand to take this woman to court for the things she took. I even have letters she wrote to my brother about things my father bought but she tells everyone that they both bought together. Just like she took my dad's digital camera, said the old one broke and they bought a new one together. I asked for the old one since I knew my dad NEVER threw anything away. she never produced it.

How much does it cost to do a small claims? She has moved out of state now and she has probably given most of the stuff to her kids in calumet and lanse but still can we go after her? Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Smiles
maeflye63
You have already been given an answer by an Attorney .

By your posting you you would be wasting your money in an attempt to sue , as them two lived together , and you would have a hard time proving what belonged to him and their worth .

These possessions are gone , and small claims is about money awards .

Advice , forget it and move on with your life . Even though they may have sentimental meaning to you , they are just possessions , and you will just be wasting your time with the issue .

maeflye63

Only thing that really gets me is she can get away with this and do it again. Supposedly my dad was the love of her life. By Jan or Feb. she was living with a new guy in WI. So now she can do this to another family. I even found some floppies she left behind marked " my guys a-j" and more. She was also applying for Diability shortly before my dad died, yet she was in the red hat thing and was seen riding a 4 wheeler with a bad back and feet problems.

So if you live with someone, it is then legal to steal from the family after the other person dies? :eek: :confused:

Sorry if I sound upset, I just think it is wrong for her to steal things from people no matter if she lived there or not. She was even told by the state cops to not take anything she didn't move in there with.

And it may be just things to some people but yes sentimental is a big part but also even money is a big thing. She left us with a huge electric and phone bill. The woman even took the toilet seat and shower head!

Ellerge

A huge electric and phone bill.

You said "She left us with a huge electric and phone bill." When you pay her phone bill, please pay MINE!
If she is now out of State, you are probably up the creek. It would cost you more in transportation and legal fees that the 'stuff' is worth - this is assuming you would win, in the first place. (You would probably LOSE!)
Chalk this up to experience and get on with your life.
Unless the electric and phone bills go with the house or you are legally obligated or it is to your advantage - DON'T pay them! 30 years ago, when my Father passed away, some collector said to me - "don't you want your father to have a good credit record?" I was smart enough NOT to pay the bill - my Father has never complained!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">