• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

For the love of electrionics

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cassandra.K

ARIZONA

Wouldn't someone need to take me a court first before a "writ of seizure" can be issued? I was given gifts, from a romantic friend of two years, including a laptop and printer. He is unhappy with how the relationship ended and now he is threatening a "writ of seizure"... Wouldn't we have to go to court first? He is making it sound like he can just show up with a cop and take my things. He lives in Alabama and I live in Arizona and he will be in town at some point this week, I am a little scared of what will happen. I haven't been served papers of any kind or anything else for that matter, but I don't understand how he can just come to my house and take my things??? I have letters and cards of him professing his undying love and friendship so couldn't that be at least a little bit of proof in court that these were gifts from a romantic partner and not loans or anything else like that?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

racer72

Yes, it would require a court judgment to obtain a writ of seizure. He will also have to sue in your county. He cannot just show up and take the stuff, even if he has an officer with him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">