• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Made clerical error on complaint form!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fiftyson

What is the name of your state?
Illinois
I filed my complaint yesterday and now realize I made a STUPID error in adding up the amount I hope to receive. Can I go back to the clerk and change the error? Another problem is that the defendant is a corporation out of state (AZ) so yesterday I also mailed the summons, complaint and fee to the local sheriff so that the corp. could be served. Can I call the sheriff's office and ask for the number to be changed or should I just wait for the court date and tell the judge I miscalculated?
Any help would be so much appreciated!!
Thank you in advance.

JETX

fiftyson said:
I filed my complaint yesterday and now realize I made a STUPID error in adding up the amount I hope to receive. Can I go back to the clerk and change the error? Another problem is that the defendant is a corporation out of state (AZ) so yesterday I also mailed the summons, complaint and fee to the local sheriff so that the corp. could be served. Can I call the sheriff's office and ask for the number to be changed or should I just wait for the court date and tell the judge I miscalculated?
Any help would be so much appreciated!!
Thank you in advance.
Simply, contact the court and file a "motion to amend" your complaint.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">