• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mail thrown out by previous landlord.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alex2684

Boca Raton, Florida

I recently moved to Boca Raton from Miami. I was expecting a court summons around the time that I moved. I called some of my roommates several times to check the mail at my previous place. The only one with a mail key is the son of the owner who also resides at that location. I was told by my former roommates that one weekend the owners and son cleaned the place and threw a lot of things out, my mail included, without asking. I had forwarded my mail to my new place so i gave them the benefit of the doubt. I kept checking back for more mail every couple of days and finally i received a letter at my old place about my failure to appear at court, hence I know my mail hadn't been forwarded yet so it had been thrown out!!! I missed my court date as a result and am now under a warrant, suspended license, hiring a lawyer, wasting precious time and money, etc...

Should I pursue some kind of legal action against my former landlord??

Please advise,

Alex

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Boca Raton, Florida

I recently moved to Boca Raton from Miami. I was expecting a court summons around the time that I moved. I called some of my roommates several times to check the mail at my previous place. The only one with a mail key is the son of the owner who also resides at that location. I was told by my former roommates that one weekend the owners and son cleaned the place and threw a lot of things out, my mail included, without asking. I had forwarded my mail to my new place so i gave them the benefit of the doubt. I kept checking back for more mail every couple of days and finally i received a letter at my old place about my failure to appear at court, hence I know my mail hadn't been forwarded yet so it had been thrown out!!! I missed my court date as a result and am now under a warrant, suspended license, hiring a lawyer, wasting precious time and money, etc...

Should I pursue some kind of legal action against my former landlord??

Please advise,

Alex
Nope - you can contact the local Postmaster if you'd like...but it was your responsibility to check with the COURT or your legal rep. about your court date.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">