• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Maintenance Bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ufasuperstorm

I live in Pennsylvania and my landlord recently sent me a bill in the mail for maintenance. I called the office and they sent a handy man over to fix a broken shelf. When I talked to them on the phone I said "it might of had to much wait on it". The handyman comes over fixes the shelf and I also have a toilet seat that is loose that I show him and he goes to the store and gets a new one and installs it.(The previous toilet seat was probably 10 years old) About a week later I get a bill in the mail for $78.00($56.00 of it which is labor) They never mentioned anything about me having to pay for anything and if I knew they would I would of done it myself. I went today to talk to the manager to try to resolve it and he said since I have a bad attitude I have to pay it. I want to take them to civil court. And I want your opinion and if I have a chance of winning? Also how much should I sue for? Are there anything else money wise I can tact on to the claim. There are lots of other problems with the apartment and the rent here is already too expensive for the area. I feel like there a greedy company that always wants more money. Also should they not have to tell me in advance if they are going to charge me for maintenance? Many thanks

Last edited:

BL

I live in Pennsylvania and my landlord recently sent me a bill in the mail for maintenance. I called the office and they sent a handy man over to fix a broken shelf. When I talked to them on the phone I said "it might of had to much wait on it". The handyman comes over fixes the shelf and I also have a toilet seat that is loose that I show him and he goes to the store and gets a new one and installs it.(The previous toilet seat was probably 10 years old) About a week later I get a bill in the mail for $78.00($56.00 of it which is labor) They never mentioned anything about me having to pay for anything and if I knew they would I would of done it myself. I went today to talk to the manager to try to resolve it and he said since I have a bad attitude I have to pay it. I want to take them to civil court. And I want your opinion and if I have a chance of winning? Also how much should I sue for? Are there anything else money wise I can tact on to the claim. There are lots of other problems with the apartment and the rent here is already too expensive for the area. I feel like there a greedy company that always wants more money. Also should they not have to tell me in advance if they are going to charge me for maintenance? Many thanks
You having a bad attitude is not reason to have to pay.

What does your rental agreement say about your avenue is to dispute ?

Generally if you caused the damage ,you are responsible .

A lose toilet seat does not require a new one ,only to be tightened or the fasteners replaced .

Did you demand a new seat ?

swalsh411

Sue for what? You don't sue because somebody says you owe them money. If anything, they would sue you.

So you think you can sue because you didn't do your homework and agreed to pay too much? :p

OHRoadwarrior

OMG a 10 year old toilet seat!!! I have never replaced a toilet seat in my life. Shelves do have load limits. When you exceed them, you break them. When you break then, you are responsible to pay for fixing them. Next time, do it yourself.

LdiJ

A lose toilet seat does not require a new one ,only to be tightened or the fasteners replaced .

Huh...I have never been able to tighten a toilet seat once it start to get loose, nor have I ever found any replacement fasteners either. If that bill was 78.00 for the toilet seat and 58.00 was labor, then the toilet seat only cost 20 bucks...which is a normal price range.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Huh...I have never been able to tighten a toilet seat once it start to get loose, nor have I ever found any replacement fasteners either. If that bill was 78.00 for the toilet seat and 58.00 was labor, then the toilet seat only cost 20 bucks...which is a normal price range.
http://www.amazon.com/LDR-503-4120-Plastic-Toilet/dp/B001DSK7DS

Just because you haven't done it doesn't mean that it hasn't been done ;)

BL

Mine has plastic fasteners ,can you image how many times I've tightened them ?

Also, do not forget the broken shelf.

The answer the poster gives me will depend on further advice.

ufasuperstorm

No I did not say I wanted a new one just that it was loose. The shelf pin is what broke and they are all old and rusty.

BL

Where do I find that? I am looking on the lease and don't see it?
FA's crystal ball keeps getting lost , and I don't have my home-made tin foil hat , no one has returned it yet.

If what you say is true , put your dispute in writing ,send it RRR Certified mail and on copy reg. mail .

Explain about the old rusty pin causing the shelf to fall and break , and that you did not request a new seat ,only showed it needed to be tightened.

Read you agreement carefully about any repairs need that YOU caused to be added rent.

If the add the cost to rent and you fail to pay that amount ,they can attempt to take you for an eviction.

You'll have to convince the court this was on them ,not you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">