• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

making payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

poison

I was sued in small claims court upon being notified of the decision i started making payments every two weeks of 10.00 i know it's not much but i am trying.now i just recieved a letter of garnishment from employer.when i tried to find out about it i was told they have no record of me paying i do have money order receipts.what can i do or should i do.i might mention i'm in california.

[Edited by poison on 12-14-2000 at 02:23 PM]

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Either go back to court to amend amount now owed OR contact the individuals who are garnishing your wages (collection agency or plaintiff) and bring proof of your back pays.

But remember, it is up to YOU to set the record straight because obviously the people whom you paid either never received the money order or they are lying.

JETX

My suggestion:

Write a letter to the judgment creditor explaining the payment agreement that you have and detail the payments made. include a copy of the money order stubs (do NOT send the originals). Send your letter US Certified mail, return requested.

This will NOT affect the wage garnishment... that is a completely independent issue, but at least the letter will document your payments and credits to the original judgment. You should not need to contact the court to amend the judgment... they won't do it until the full judgment is paid (if they did, they would be constantly 'amending' judgments and not be able to handle their caseload).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">