• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Making payments against judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrivc211

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I had a judgement awarded against me. I did not have a chance to defend myself as the notice was not sent to my current address, it was sent to former address. When I received the judgement, it stated I now owe thousands of dollars. I am unemployed and have been for over a year. Without income I have no way to pay this judgement. What are my options?

Thanks

latigo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I had a judgement awarded against me. I did not have a chance to defend myself as the notice was not sent to my current address, it was sent to former address. When I received the judgement, it stated I now owe thousands of dollars. I am unemployed and have been for over a year. Without income I have no way to pay this judgement. What are my options?

Thanks
Chapter 7.

Curiously though are using someone else's PC and ISP here, or your own computer and Internet service?

Also, what would have been the nature of any defense to the judgment creditor's claim and when was the judgment issued?

You tell us that the "notice was sent to a former address"? Did you venture to the courthouse to examine the clerk's file and learn by reading the claimant's return of service? If not, how do you know where it was delivered?

I could be way off of the mark, but my guess is that you knew about the lawsuit long before you received the judgment. And that the claim was legitimate and you don't have a meritorious defense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">