• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marriage day gone bad. Can we sue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stuckincali

What is the name of your state? California

My parents were planning on getting married at our house. They contacted this civil marriage business and the people and my parents started planning the wedding. The people of the civil marriage business told my parents they would marry them at 12pm but my mom said no because my little brother was getting baptized at 10am and we wouldnt make it in time. The lady said ok and she changed the time to 3pm. When Saturday came, we went and baptized my brother and came back home to started putting everything in order for the wedding. The lady came at 12pm, ready to marry my parents. My mom told her that she changed the time to 3pm and the lady told her that she had forgotten and asked for the rest of the money. My mom gave it to her. The lady said she would come back at 5 to marry them and my mom said ok. The lady came back at 8:30 pm. My parents were mad and everybody else in the party were too. Once she married my parents, she made me and my sister,both minors, sign the marriage certificate and left without noone knowing or taking the pictures my mom had paid for.

From that point on, the business doesnt answer our calls or they rush us off the phone. They dont give us information about the lady or at what time they open and close. The main guy in that business screamed at my mom when she called and hanged up on her. Some days ago, my mom told me to call them and ask them a question. I called them really politely and asked him what time they would open. The guy starts screaming at me and rushing me off the phone. When i asked him the time they would open, he didnt respond and when i asked him again, he said "Are you brain damaged?"

Our question is can my parents sue them?

EDIT: It turns out that the person that married my parents might not have a license to marry people.

(This might be on the wrong forum. Sorry)

Last edited:

JETX

Our question is can we sue them?
No, 'we' can't sue them as you have no standing in the matter. However, the person(s) who were damaged (presumably your parents) have the legal right to file a lawsuit. HOWEVER, from your post it appears they have very little if any real 'damage'.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No, 'we' can't sue them as you have no standing in the matter. However, the person(s) who were damaged (presumably your parents) have the legal right to file a lawsuit. HOWEVER, from your post it appears they have very little if any real 'damage'.
If the person cannot legally marry anyone they have the money paid for the wedding to this person and maybe even the money paid in toto for the wedding depending on whether they were relying on the word of this person to proceed.

JETX

If the person cannot legally marry anyone they have the money paid for the wedding to this person and maybe even the money paid in toto for the wedding depending on whether they were relying on the word of this person to proceed.
What the hell are you talking about??
Who said anything about not having the legal right to marry anyone??
In fact, the OP says, "Once she married my parents...".

There is NO damage here.... other than a delay in an informal marriage ceremony.

You Are Guilty

What the hell are you talking about??
Who said anything about not having the legal right to marry anyone??
In fact, the OP says, "Once she married my parents...".

There is NO damage here.... other than a delay in an informal marriage ceremony.
Check the OP's edit. If they actually aren't licensed but advertise (and charge) that they are, that's a pretty good fraud claim. Of course, not knowing how much the parents paid, hard to say whether it's worth pursuing. I can't see anything other than getting the contact price returned.

JETX

Check the OP's edit. If they actually aren't licensed but advertise (and charge) that they are, that's a pretty good fraud claim. Of course, not knowing how much the parents paid, hard to say whether it's worth pursuing. I can't see anything other than getting the contact price returned.
You're correct. Can't be held responsible for response if the OP CHANGES the facts after my post. :D
And even at that... the ONLY party that could take that action is the parents ('damaged'), not the OP.

You Are Guilty

You're correct. Can't be held responsible for response if the OP CHANGES the facts after my post. :D
And even at that... the ONLY party that could take that action is the parents ('damaged'), not the OP.
Oh, tosh and poppycok! (sic - damn censor)

You are too supposed to know everything about the OP's situation that they left out of their post, as well as agree that the OP was in the "zone of wedding danger" and has an independent claim ;)

Time to have your Magic 8ball tuned up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">