• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mechanic did not fix my car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nonoiseplz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I'm from Georgia.

3 months ago, I took my car to a local mechanic to get the engine replaced. We had a verbal agreement of $500 upfront and $500 after the work was done. I paid the $500 upfront and he towed the car from my house. I have a receipt for the $500 upfront.
He told me that it would take a week to get the car fixed so ,almost everyday after the initial week, I've called to get updates on my car.
During the 2nd month, I went down to check the car out for myself. He told me had replaced the broken engine with a used engine but the used engine was also bad and wouldn't work. So he then told me that the car will be ready on Thursday of that week.
Still isn't fixed.

I called him today and he said it should be ready by tomorrow, but I know what that means. I told him that if it isn't ready then to tow it back to my house. He said "we can do that".

If he refuses to tow my car home( which is only a block away) are there any legal actions I can pursue? Can I call the police and report him for stealing it?

Also , if I take him to court, can I get a refund on the $500 since no work was done to my car?

Thanks for reading and I hope someone can help me.:)

Last edited:

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I'm from Georgia.

3 months ago, I took my car to a local mechanic to get the engine replaced. We had a verbal agreement of $500 upfront and $500 after the work was done. I paid the $500 upfront and he towed the car from my house. I have a receipt for the $500 upfront.
He told me that it would take a week to get the car fixed so ,almost everyday after the initial week, I've called to get updates on my car.
During the 2nd month, I went down to check the car out for myself. He told me had replaced the broken engine with a used engine but the used engine was also bad and wouldn't work. So he then told me that the car will be ready on Thursday of that week.
Still isn't fixed.

I called him today and he said it should be ready by tomorrow, but I know what that means. I told him that if it isn't ready then to tow it back to my house. He said "we can do that".

If he refuses to tow my car home( which is only a block away) are there any legal actions I can pursue? Can I call the police and report him for stealing it?

Also , if I take him to court, can I get a refund on the $500 since no work was done to my car?

Thanks for reading and I hope someone can help me.:)
It's been 2 months .That's unreasonable .Hire your own tow ,or have a freind tow it .Heck pay some young ones to push it a block.

If the mechanic won't release it ,have the police see if he will .

If he still won't ,sue him in court for the 500.00 plus the cost of the auto.

And just to cover yourself ,send a certified return receipt requested letter outlining what has occured ,dates,etc. , a demand for it's release to you .( keep a copy ) and send it to him/them , for your your records just in case

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">