• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mechanic Negligence caused us our car and possible accident.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VictoryNJ

We took our car to an independent shop for a regular 10K service on a thursday during the recent memorial day weekend. My husband started the car and immediately heard a weird sound from the front, he immediately notified the mechanic to w/c the mechanic replied � Oh, its not uncommon for our customers to say there are more problems after our service�. My husband was surprised to hear such comment. But just drove the car home since the mechanic seems to be implying that this issue is "normal"

On his way home, about 8.5 miles the car started smoking. He immediately pulled to the side of the freeway and soon found that the transmission started slipping at which point he stopped the car and put it in park. There was then a lot of fluid leaking on the ground at that point. He called the tow truck and had it towed back to the shop. The shop was already closed when we got there so we returned next morning to tell them of the problem.

The following morning, we went back to the shop and told them of the problem. The car was parked outside by their door entrance in an inclined spot and we saw a lot of fluid leaking from the right side of the car. We left the car with them Friday am, arnd 2pm we called to find out that they have not yet done anything with the car. Arnd 6 pm their staff called and said they will look at the car the following am. We were frustrated to find out they have not even paid attention to the car that had a serious issue after their service. The following day, we called many times and finally talked to the owner to which he said they cant look at the car until Tuesday. I expressed my frustration with them and the owner responded that "If were not happy with their service, we can go somewhere else" and hanged up on me.

At this time, the owner do not want to take up responsibility of the trouble with the transmission issue. They are totally unwilling to do anything for us. We were initially having an agreement with them that we are to get a second opinion and if its their mistake, they will take responsibility. But when we returned to their shop to sign the agreement the owner changed his mind and was initiating that we settle this case through the Bureau of Automotive Repair.

As of now, the car is not in a driveable condition and is still in their shop. We are left with a damaged car and no car for the past two weeks. This is our work car and no serious major issues we are aware of before checking in the car to them.

Please advise, we need help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">