• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is mechanic responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dlhjpv2

What is the name of your state? Indiana

9 months ago the timing belt went out in my car. My friend ended up breaking a bolt off in the engine block trying to fix it. I had a mechanic agree to repair it. 7 months after he agreed to fix it, I ended up having to give him $100 to to buy a sensor that he said would complete the repairs, which he said would be finished in a week. 3 weeks later my car still wasnt fixed and he wouldnt let me come pick it up, so I took him to small claims. The judge told him he could not keep my car from me and said I could go get it the next day. In court the mechanic said that we agreed in the begining that I would pay him for parts and labor as he went, which is not true. He said he pulled the engine, welded the block, and put the engine back in the car. The car still does not run he said because he already had to much money in it and wasnt going to put any more until I paid him the $400 for welding the block. When I went to his garage the next day to get my car, I noticed my speakers, speaker box, amplifier, and my cd's were missing. There is also a big dent in the side of car and my sunroof is broken. I called the police and they told me to take him back to court. I don't even know if the repairs he says he made were really made because the car dont run. It's been almost 10 months, how can I win this case, and get my stolen property back. What kind of proof will I need to take with me to court. Thank You.

BL

dlhjpv2 said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana

9 months ago the timing belt went out in my car. My friend ended up breaking a bolt off in the engine block trying to fix it. I had a mechanic agree to repair it. 7 months after he agreed to fix it, I ended up having to give him $100 to to buy a sensor that he said would complete the repairs, which he said would be finished in a week. 3 weeks later my car still wasnt fixed and he wouldnt let me come pick it up, so I took him to small claims. The judge told him he could not keep my car from me and said I could go get it the next day. In court the mechanic said that we agreed in the begining that I would pay him for parts and labor as he went, which is not true. He said he pulled the engine, welded the block, and put the engine back in the car. The car still does not run he said because he already had to much money in it and wasnt going to put any more until I paid him the $400 for welding the block. When I went to his garage the next day to get my car, I noticed my speakers, speaker box, amplifier, and my cd's were missing. There is also a big dent in the side of car and my sunroof is broken. I called the police and they told me to take him back to court. I don't even know if the repairs he says he made were really made because the car dont run. It's been almost 10 months, how can I win this case, and get my stolen property back. What kind of proof will I need to take with me to court. Thank You.
That is correct , you file small claims against the shop AGAIN .

You go have the car diagnosed by a Certified Mechanic Shop ( better if two shops ). Get written estimates for repairs .

Then you Prove ( could be by witnesses , but solid proof such a receipts are better ) , of the equipment you say were missing and proof of what their value is .

But in reality it has been a few months and the Judge might look at this as anything could have happened within those few months .

You have to have proof ( receipts /Pictures ), reliable witnesses , and be very convincing , and hope for the best .

You should have checked on your auto repairs every 2 or 3 days in person , so you can look for yourself what is going on . Then if something isn't right you can stop it in it's tracks .

Also , when theft or damages occurs , file for damages ASAP .

dlhjpv2

indiana
I dont have any pics of my car before i took my car there, all i have is a pic of the dent, will that work? I bought the speakers and amp from an individual, but they gave me a reciept, from a reciept book, will that help? The mechanic never gave me a home/business phone number, and he is not listed, all he gave me was his cell phone #, but he had my # and knows where i live, which is only a couple of miles from my house.his cell phone got turned off, but i left numerous notes at his house, but he would never respond. what proof will i need for my sunroof? i dont have any reciepts for my cd's that were stolen either, what can i do. isn't that theft.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">