• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mechanic trouble

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wizard30

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? georgia
I had a mechanic work on my car. I paid for the parts up front and was given a work order receipt with paid such amount and balance due. Well when i went to pick up the car it wouldn't run properly and that he would get that fixed. He also stated that their were other problems that he ran into and that a previous mechanic must have done. So i wasnt satisfied so i went back with a deputy to retrieve my vehicle and was told i would have to pay bill in full before i could get my car. So i went home to get money and called him to be told of other charges he placed on the bill and that i wouldnt get my car back until he was ready. I told him these charges werent authorized and i wasnt paying them. I believe i should only have to pay original bill signed by him not one he's pulled out of the sky. Im not going to be able to speak to the sheriff until Monday. Mechanic made statement to deputy that i owed the amount on my bill so i have a witness. Planning on going to make a second attempt to pay the bill i have after that i guess small claims. MY question is shouldnt my bill be all i should pay and shouldn't he be required to release my car to me after payment. Also if i dont get my car back any suggestions on what to fill suit for. Once i get the car and have another mechanic inspect and repair i plan to take to small claims court.

JETX

Your only real recourse is to pay the bill (and get your vehicle out of his control).. then pursue a claim in your local small claims court.

wizard30

What do you think about that luietiant colonel whom refuses to return to his post/ war until obama shows his birth certificate? Do you think i can be required to pay his made up bill? I guess ill find out Monday when i make an attempt to pay with a deputy present.

justalayman

=wizard30;2555492]What do you think about that luietiant colonel whom refuses to return to his post/ war until obama shows his birth certificate?
I believe he should be tried for sedition and dereliction of duty and made to set in a jail for a very long time. Our country is much more than the one man that sets as president and regardless of the situation with the president or if there isn't one for some period of time, that person swore an oath to uphold his duties.

Do you think i can be required to pay his made up bill?
if you want to get your car out relatively soon, yes

I guess ill find out Monday when i make an attempt to pay with a deputy present.
if they guy says he forgot something in the bill so he added it in, the deputy will probably simply tell you to pay it and sue the guy. The deputy has no right to demand the guy release the vehicle. Only a court can do that. Only if the officer believes a crime is being committed can the officer take any real action.

I recommend that you pay the bill with a credit card. Then if you have issues with what work was done and another mechanic has to re do the work, the charges can be disputed and reversed.

JETX

I recommend that you pay the bill with a credit card. Then if you have issues with what work was done and another mechanic has to re do the work, the charges can be disputed and reversed.
More stupid 'advice' from the ignorant.

And the minute the charges are 'disputed', the mechanic shows up with a tow truck and exercise his 'mechanic lien' rights and tows the vehicle to a local impound yard.... adding the towing and impound fees to the vehicle cost.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">