• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mechanics trying to rip me off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DaRyuujin

VA

Ok so heres the deal..Ive been having problems with this mechanic going on for about a month or so now maybe more. I had them fix my windshield wipers on my car, so they looked at it and tol dme that it was a bad bushing or something like that and the part was $4 so i said ok go ahead and order it. I was told to brin gmy car back the next day to get it fixed so i do so and whne i arrive im told "We are not able to order the bushing by its self we need to order a whole wiper arm assembly" I decided to go ahead and tell them to order that because it was getting way too dangerous to drive with them the way they were. Few days later the part comes in and they put it on and tell me to pick the car up its fixed, i get in my car turn them on all seems good so i head on home. It was about 2-3 weeks later that it finally raied so i turned my windshield wipers on..no problems then about 1 min after i had them on the started going off the window and hitting my mirror again (the original problem) so i stop by and tell them so again they said bring it by at 9 am the next day and they would fix it, so of course i do so and they tell me come back in a hour it will be done. Well i choose to wait even longer i went back at 12 and they told me "we had to get a clamp for it the guy is on his way to get get it now" so i figured ok..I'll come back in a hour or so. So i return at 1:30 and im told "its not done we had to order a bushing it will be here in about 45 min", so at this point im mad so i just head home. I get home then it hits me "we had to order a bushing" that was what they said was originally wrong..that they COULDN'T order and which is why i had to spend $100 for a part instead of $4 So i goto pick my car up and its done and i ask "is it actually fixed this time" "yes" so i take it home. About another week passes it rains So i turn on my windshield wipers..and teh SAME thing happens so i call them they tell me the part they ordered must of been defective they would order another one (free of charge) and out it on (free of charge) So just today i dropped it off there goto pick it up and they claim they got the wrong part and they would order the right one saying i originally told them my car was a 94 (i have they paper they gave me saying what they did to my car that says 95) So i asked them to put it back together and I would give them one last chance the next day because i had to be to work and go pay bills so i needed my car they told me no, he said he would take all the bolts and put my hood down but he wouldn't put them back on because it was extra wor. I know (or at least believe) its not legal to drive w/o them so i tell them "look just put it back together and i Will decide what i will have done to my car later on there are things i have to do" so they are currently doing it.

Now heres my question I'm about to go get it now I'm going to ask them for a refund so i can take my car else where if they refuse what legal action can i take? because Not only do i feel they tried to rip me off but i feel they also put my life in danger by putting me on the road with defective windshield wipers multiple times

ty for the advice and I'm sorry for the wall of text and the typos that im sure are in there..im just really mad right now

BL

Go here : Batauto.com , and follow the posting rules and ask your auto repair question , because w/o knowing your type of auto ( as this is a legal forum ) , we can't actually advise on your next step .

You could always take it to your manufacture auto repair facility ( they would know best ) , and if the first guys did overcharge ,give you the run around , you'd have ammo to request a refund .

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
VA

Ok so heres the deal..Ive been having problems with this mechanic going on for about a month or so now maybe more. I had them fix my windshield wipers on my car, so they looked at it and tol dme that it was a bad bushing or something like that and the part was $4 so i said ok go ahead and order it. I was told to brin gmy car back the next day to get it fixed so i do so and whne i arrive im told "We are not able to order the bushing by its self we need to order a whole wiper arm assembly" I decided to go ahead and tell them to order that because it was getting way too dangerous to drive with them the way they were. Few days later the part comes in and they put it on and tell me to pick the car up its fixed, i get in my car turn them on all seems good so i head on home. It was about 2-3 weeks later that it finally raied so i turned my windshield wipers on..no problems then about 1 min after i had them on the started going off the window and hitting my mirror again (the original problem) so i stop by and tell them so again they said bring it by at 9 am the next day and they would fix it, so of course i do so and they tell me come back in a hour it will be done. Well i choose to wait even longer i went back at 12 and they told me "we had to get a clamp for it the guy is on his way to get get it now" so i figured ok..I'll come back in a hour or so. So i return at 1:30 and im told "its not done we had to order a bushing it will be here in about 45 min", so at this point im mad so i just head home. I get home then it hits me "we had to order a bushing" that was what they said was originally wrong..that they COULDN'T order and which is why i had to spend $100 for a part instead of $4 So i goto pick my car up and its done and i ask "is it actually fixed this time" "yes" so i take it home. About another week passes it rains So i turn on my windshield wipers..and teh SAME thing happens so i call them they tell me the part they ordered must of been defective they would order another one (free of charge) and out it on (free of charge) So just today i dropped it off there goto pick it up and they claim they got the wrong part and they would order the right one saying i originally told them my car was a 94 (i have they paper they gave me saying what they did to my car that says 95) So i asked them to put it back together and I would give them one last chance the next day because i had to be to work and go pay bills so i needed my car they told me no, he said he would take all the bolts and put my hood down but he wouldn't put them back on because it was extra wor. I know (or at least believe) its not legal to drive w/o them so i tell them "look just put it back together and i Will decide what i will have done to my car later on there are things i have to do" so they are currently doing it.

Now heres my question I'm about to go get it now I'm going to ask them for a refund so i can take my car else where if they refuse what legal action can i take? because Not only do i feel they tried to rip me off but i feel they also put my life in danger by putting me on the road with defective windshield wipers multiple times

ty for the advice and I'm sorry for the wall of text and the typos that im sure are in there..im just really mad right now
Sue the bad people in small claims court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">