• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical bill for minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)CT

Ex is being brought to court for an unpaid medical bill, one for our daughter that I have never seen as this particular bill was sent to his home initially and for the 3 years since the service of our daughter. He has never brought this to my attention before. Now that it has found it's way to court and he is being sued for it he has sent this bill to me via return receipt mail as if he expects me to pay it. Typically the bills are sent to my home since our daughter's address is listed as mine. She lives with me. We are both responsible for the bills. All other bills in the 10 years we have been divorced(that I know of) have always come to my house and I pay them(thousands of dollars worth over the years) he is supposed to pay half of the bills not covered by insurance (but never does). I do not know why this one was sent to his house this time. He carries the insurance. Do I need to worry about being brought to court for this bill?

justalayman

are you listed as a defendant? I suspect the creditor will obtain a judgment against your husband. That doesn't mean they couldn't also sue you but until they do, I would let the husband worry about it.

Of course, if you are required to pay half of the medical bills, your husband would have a claim against you for your half but that is between you and your husband and doesn't involve the creditor.

Thank you

I am not listed as a defendant, only him and his wife. I have always paid the bills as they usually come to my house, I do not know why this particular one went to his house instead but I think he should have paid it long ago and don't want to feel like I have to bail him out of this.
We are equally responsible for the bills not covered by insurance so yes, if he pays it I will owe him half of that.

Antigone*

I am not listed as a defendant, only him and his wife. I have always paid the bills as they usually come to my house, I do not know why this particular one went to his house instead but I think he should have paid it long ago and don't want to feel like I have to bail him out of this.
We are equally responsible for the bills not covered by insurance so yes, if he pays it I will owe him half of that.
Let him worry about it ~ you are not a party to this action.

Are you owed money for any of the prior bills that you should have split?

Antigone, thank you, I will let him worry about it.
He hasn't paid me anything in years for his part of the medical bills. (We are talking braces (twice), eye glasses, one surgery copay...and so it has added up.) It usually ended up that at tax time he wanted me to sign the deduction waver so he can claim the exemption on his taxes and I would tell him that I wouldn't do that until he is paid up on what he owes me.....a few fights later and a few weeks later he would somehow come through with the money so he could claim the exemption. A few years back I gave up...At tax time I gathered the totals, if the amount he owed added up to a large amount, (over 1200.00-1700.00) I just claimed the exemption myself and considered myself paid since he came from his pocket anyways in a round about way. He wasn't happy but that's what I did. He just never reimberses me so I handled it this way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">