• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mentally impaired mother being sued

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kellyals907

State of Alabama
My mother co-signed on a small loan for her sister a couple years ago. Since then my mother has suffered many medical problems, including 2 strokes, (cva) as well as a heart attack. Now her mind is the equivalent to a child. She has lost alot of her memory. She often "forgets" that I have 3 children instead of 2, my youngest was born after her last stroke.
Anyway there has been a small claims court case filed against my aunt and since my mother was listed as a co-borrower she is also included in the claim. My questiong is since she is "mentally imcompetent" can she be held liable for this debt. And if we case use the fact that is not mentally sound, do we have to get the courts to declare her mentally imcompetent or can her physician write a letter on her behalf stating her medical condition and that is does in fact effect her mind?
Thanks for any help
Kelly

At the time she signed the paperwork she was perfectly competent. I can get a loan today and have health problems but it will not free me of the debts I have incurred. See an Atty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">