• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

merit trial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ctutuncu

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I had filed a complaint against a dentist who was trying to get me to pay him double the amount that a lab has billed him for stuff manufactured for my dental implant treatment. I got a letter from the court that says "type of proceeding: merit trial" and "reason: a plaintiff has requested a summons' renewal". I also got a second letter which is a writ of summons and a counterclaim by this dentist.

My questions:
1) what is a merit trial? where can I get more information on merit trials?

2) Can I present additional documents before the court date?

3) Is there any information on the web that states what activities fall under the definition of dental service?

4) Can dentists charge a patient any $ amount they wish?

Last edited:

BL

ctutuncu said:
What is the name of your state? Maryland

I had filed a complaint against a dentist who was trying to get me to pay him double the amount that a lab has billed him for stuff manufactured for my dental implant treatment. I got a letter from the court that says "type of proceeding: merit trial" and "reason: a plaintiff has requested a summons' renewal". I also got a second letter which is a writ of summons and a counterclaim by this dentist.

My questions:
1) what is a merit trial? where can I get more information on merit trials?

2) Can I present additional documents before the court date?

3) Is there any information on the web that states what activities fall under the definition of dental service?

4) Can dentists charge a patient any $ amount they wish?
I believe the Letter means the case " merits " ( due to the facts in the case )would be better heard in a civil trial rather than the small claims section .

So check with the Clerk about civil trial procedures , or consult an attorney that deals with medical issues .

Is the case set to be heard yet ?
Again check with the Court Clerk .

ctutuncu

follow up on my first question

Maryland

Case will be heard in May. I filed the complaint with the small claims court as I was tired of receiving incorrect bills, and I claimed that the dentist owed me about $50. His counter claim is that I owe him $500 for unpaid services plus $1200 for the three hours he put in preparing his claim. Given that, I don't think any lawyer would be interested in the case.

Are there any sources on the internet that can help me prepare myself if this is really now a civil case?

Thanking you in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">