• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

meter reader nightmare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thejude

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

a meter reader contracted by my power company came to my door and said he was going to cut my power off for non-payment. i offered to call the power company and make the payment by credit card but the reader said he wasn't allowed to wait for any payments and that was just going to cut my power off. We argued a couple minutes then i gave up. immediately after he left, i called to make the payment. the power company quoted the late amount plus a "collection" fee of $20 plus a "$250 fine for tampering." without my knowledge, the reader had taken my meter and reported it as being tampered with. the meter had not been tampered with. the meter was an anti-tampering meter with sensors that alert the company of any tampering. when i brought that fact up to the customer service person the "$250 fine" became a "$250 fee for tampering investigation" I can only speculate why the meter reader lied about tampering

1) out of spite for my arguing with him
2) he gets a commission for running up the bill
3) an all-out power company scam, contract company scam or both scam.

any advice would be greatly appreciated. i feel impotent...and i'm not even a guy.

Mass_Shyster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

a meter reader contracted by my power company came to my door and said he was going to cut my power off for non-payment. i offered to call the power company and make the payment by credit card but the reader said he wasn't allowed to wait for any payments and that was just going to cut my power off. We argued a couple minutes then i gave up. immediately after he left, i called to make the payment. the power company quoted the late amount plus a "collection" fee of $20 plus a "$250 fine for tampering." without my knowledge, the reader had taken my meter and reported it as being tampered with. the meter had not been tampered with. the meter was an anti-tampering meter with sensors that alert the company of any tampering. when i brought that fact up to the customer service person the "$250 fine" became a "$250 fee for tampering investigation" I can only speculate why the meter reader lied about tampering

1) out of spite for my arguing with him
2) he gets a commission for running up the bill
3) an all-out power company scam, contract company scam or both scam.

any advice would be greatly appreciated. i feel impotent...and i'm not even a guy.
Georgia Power considers a broken meter seal as evidence of tampering.

BTW, he did not take "your" meter. The meter belongs to the power company.

thejude

meter reading

both of your points are moot. something that cannot be proven is not proof. I did not break the seal. Also, it's common knowledge that the meter is not legally/technically "yours;" so i doubt you impressed anyone with that one. BTW, i said the company is an EMC. GP is not an EMC. If you know nothing, please don't pipe in.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
both of your points are moot. something that cannot be proven is not proof. I did not break the seal. Also, it's common knowledge that the meter is not legally/technically "yours;" so i doubt you impressed anyone with that one. BTW, i said the company is an EMC. GP is not an EMC. If you know nothing, please don't pipe in.
Good luck...

Kiawah

Pay the bill, get your power turned back on, pay your future bills on time, and don't mess with the meter anymore (or allow anyone else to mess with it).

They know what the house typically consumes in electricity, and they know what the meter has recently reported.

Last edited:

cosine

Pay the bill, get your power turned back on, pay your future bills on time, and don't mess with the meter anymore (or allow anyone else to mess with it).
So you are saying the OP should have physically prevented the meter reader from tampering with the meter?

They know what the house typically consumes in electricity, and they know what the meter has recently reported.
And this relates to the issues at hand (OP's failure to pay on time ... and the meter reader's false report of tampering) how? Did you know that tampering with meters is a criminal act? The OP should report this to the police.

thejude

meter reader

Let's step back a moment and try to focus; we're getting bogged down with irrelevance

my question is not about whether i tampered or whether i pay my bills on time and i'll try to be as succinct as possible: "what is one's recourse under the premise that one was falsely accused of tampering with one's power meter?"

If you don't know, there's no need to peck you keyboard. and i do appreciate everyone's support.

thejude

meter reader

So you are saying the OP should have physically prevented the meter reader from tampering with the meter?

And this relates to the issues at hand (OP's failure to pay on time ... and the meter reader's false report of tampering) how? Did you know that tampering with meters is a criminal act? The OP should report this to the police.
thanks, i think i may take this advice.

thejude

meter reader

thanks, i think i may take this advice.
in fact, the more i think about it, you're absolutely right. it is a criminal offense and i should have a police report on the matter. they may investigate or they may ignore it. but, at lease i tried. THANKS

racer72

in fact, the more i think about it, you're absolutely right. it is a criminal offense and i should have a police report on the matter. they may investigate or they may ignore it. but, at lease i tried. THANKS
You have absolutely no proof. They will think you are a lunatic. You have proven it with your reaction you posted in your original post.

thejude

You have absolutely no proof. They will think you are a lunatic. You have proven it with your reaction you posted in your original post.
Your comment is completely irrational and without forethought. next time somebody steals your tires, don't report it unless you can prove who did it. and you don't follow instructions well either, do you?

justalayman

even if you can prove somebody tampered with the meter, how are you going to even guess who did it?. The police are not going to care. The POCO deals with things like this all the time and unless something is actually damaged or missing, they will presume you are the one that tampered with the meter. There generally is not a gang of seal thieves running around taking the seals from meters.

without my knowledge, the reader had taken my meter
what do you mean "without your knowledge"? When he removed the meter, your power went out. Since you were home at the time, I find it unlikely you did not notice the power was turned off.

racer72

Your comment is completely irrational and without forethought. next time somebody steals your tires, don't report it unless you can prove who did it. and you don't follow instructions well either, do you?
My post is completely rational. I didn't have to put much thought into it, your ignorance made it easy. Not paying your electric bill and throwing a tizzy fit has nothing to do with stolen tires. That is proof enough to me you don't have a clue about your situation. The electric meter did not belong to you, your electric company owns it. I own the tires on my vehicles.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And as for following instructions, when you post on a public board you do not get to dictate who responds, or how.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">