• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Might I have to give up my motorcycle?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

legalinquirer

I am currently residing in Florida, but I might move to Georgia very soon.

I am on the verge of purchasing a motorcycle from an individual, a friend of a brother-in-law. He acquired the motorcycle (99 Suzuki.. ~ worth $4,000) from another individual who was in a pinch for cash as collateral. The original owner has signed the title (VIN matches) over as a gift. The recieved by line remains blank. He has not been seen for a month, and the individual who currently has the motorcycle in his possession wants to sell it to me for $2500.

I am a bit leary of buying this motorcycle, as I don't know what would happen if the original owner all of a sudden showed up and wanted his motorcycle back. Another concern is if he took out a title loan on the motorcycle before he disappeared, which I have been told would make the motorcycle the property of the entity who loaned him the money.

Does anyone know what might happen if either of these scenarios came true, in either state? Any well informed input would be greatly appreciated.

-Robert

seniorjudge

legalinquirer said:
I am currently residing in Florida, but I might move to Georgia very soon.

I am on the verge of purchasing a motorcycle from an individual, a friend of a brother-in-law. He acquired the motorcycle (99 Suzuki.. ~ worth $4,000) from another individual who was in a pinch for cash as collateral. The original owner has signed the title (VIN matches) over as a gift. The recieved by line remains blank. He has not been seen for a month, and the individual who currently has the motorcycle in his possession wants to sell it to me for $2500.

I am a bit leary of buying this motorcycle, as I don't know what would happen if the original owner all of a sudden showed up and wanted his motorcycle back. Another concern is if he took out a title loan on the motorcycle before he disappeared, which I have been told would make the motorcycle the property of the entity who loaned him the money.

Does anyone know what might happen if either of these scenarios came true, in either state? Any well informed input would be greatly appreciated.

-Robert

Call the DMV (or go on their website). Generally (and that is a big if) the person with the title is the owner. If you have the title AND possession, I don't see how anyone could question your right to the bike.

Stand by to see if there any Florida gurus on board.

JETX

legalinquirer said:
Does anyone know what might happen if either of these scenarios came true, in either state?
Simple answer..... if the seller has a VALID NEGOTIABLE title (with NO liens).... and signs that title over to you (with all other required documents), you become the legal owner of the vehicle.
If the seller does NOT have a valid NEGOTIABLE tile (without any liens), you have NO rights to ownership.

And since we can't review those documents for you... it is up to YOU to find out what the seller actually has... or doesn't have.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">