• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misquote on private mailbox rental

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Billlegal

What is the name of your state? Maryland.

This morning I called a company which will remain nameless, to find out how much it would cost to rent a small mailbox for 1 year. I was quoted the rate of $52.50 for one year's rental.

I drove out to said nameless company, filled out all the paperwork to obtain a box for a year, paid my $52.50 and left with my brand-new mailbox key.

Just as I pulled into the driveway, I got a call from the owner of the franchise. Seems his employee made a terrible mistake, and they wouldn't be able to rent me the mailbox for a year at the price I paid. Nope, they wanted an additional $110.00. Under no circumstances would they honor their commitment.

My choices were:

1) Keep the box, and get hit with additional rental fees (and who knows how much higher those would have gone, since they're incapable of properly quoting it to the nearest $100.00).

2) Drive back out there, turn in my key and get a refund.

I picked Choice 2. After the long, drawn-out processing of the refund, the co-owner asked if she could have my copy of the contract. "Absolutely not," I replied.

Longshot question: Since this business low-balled their quote, wasted my time, and didn't honor their agreement, I'd like to take them to small claims court. I'd seek the amount necessary to rent a mailbox elsewhere (less $52.50).

Constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated.

stephenk

first get quotes from other po box rental places to see if any are close to the $52.50 you were quoted.

A small claims judge may not let you take advantage of an obvious mistake if all your other quotes are in the $150 range.

U

utahbabe

You seem like an inteligent person. Do you really think it's worth all the time and stress to take this to court? I know my time would be worth more doing other things than wasting it on this.

B

Billlegal

stephenk said:
first get quotes from other po box rental places to see if any are close to the $52.50 you were quoted.

A small claims judge may not let you take advantage of an obvious mistake if all your other quotes are in the $150 range.
Just wanted to thank you for this. I'm now exploring the doctrine of mistake ("riveting reading," he said insincerely) and was actually masochistic enough to read a small chunk of Corbin on Contracts.

Even if I decide not to pursue it, I will have profited by learning.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">