• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misrepresented/Lied Private Party Vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ihatemyhonda

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WV

I traded vehicles using an online forum mautofied.com, well the person I made the trade with did not tell me of multiple mechanical issues with the car after saying it was in perfect running condition and had no problems. There were also modifications that I was told were done to the vehicle, but later on found out that they weren't. Is there anything I can legally to do make him pay for the cost of the issues and the missing components that he told me were on the car? The modifications that were supposedly done were all internal engine/transmission modifications so these could not be seen without an entire engine/transmission tear down. I would like to either make him pay for these issues/lied about components or at least get the other vehicle returned to me. I appreciate any help with this.

ihatemyhonda

Well it was a direct trade vehicle for vehicle.He had it listed that the transmission was listed with certain components and that the engine was built using certain components. Driving home from our meeting for the trade the vehicle began to overheat and I called to ask him about this and he gave me a BS story about there being a tiny leak from a coolant overflow tank (he never mentioned this to me until after I had left). It turned out it was a blown head gasket. When I had my mechanic work on the vehicle for the blown head gasket he determined that none of the supposed components were inside of the engine as the other individual had told me. Also then it began to have transmission issues and upon removal none of the components he stated were in the transmission were in there either. I had spoke to him and he had told me the car was in perfect running condition and never mentioned a leak or anything else. So he had lied about the mechanical portion of the car as he later said it had a leak. He also lied to me about the components on the vehicle as these were not there either. The total to get the work done he said had been done is rather staggering.

ihatemyhonda

It simply states that a direct trade was being made between vehicles, it does not state anything as to the running condition or anything else it states

"A direct trade with no money involved is taking place for the 2 vehicles listed below.

Me is trading a
Car Make and Model VIN #
For His
Car Make and model VIN:#

Signatures here"

Here's a direct link to his ad for the car
1990 Eagle Talon AWD 5spd 372awhp Clean - LS1TECH
and I was just adding in the other information to let you know what he had told me of the car, which was that it was in fine running shape. Thanks for your help with this guys I do appreciate it. Also does that constitute fraud in misrepresenting the parts that were supposedly on the vehicle?

Last edited:

CraigFL

The problem you have is that most car sales are "as-Is" and unless you have some kind of guarantee or warranty you have no recourse. What did the pre-purchase inspection say about the condition of the vehicle? If you wanted more protection, you could have added that this car was provided per the information stated(add description details from advertisement here). Because they were not referenced in the shortly worded sales contract, no one else(like a judge) would ever know that these specific items were included. The only thing an outsider knows for sure is that you traded a car for another...

BL

Even with me having emails stating what all was included in the vehicle, that turned out to not be there?

You would need to subpoena the qualified mechanic to court to give testimony as to the discrepancies in the Ad - V - what you received , and you would have to prove your damages .

Sorry , Judges aren't mechanics , they rule on what's put in front of them - to them .

I doubt any notations , or letters would suffice .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">